The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive noticed a few exoskeleton's lying around my new crs tank, at first i thought it was a dead shrimp. But then I remembered crustaceans molt every month or so.

Should I leave them in their for them to eat off of?
Or should i remove them?

·
Registered
39 Posts
you could just leave them in there. it's not gonna pollute the water or anything. the shrimps will eat them i think.

Yes, you can leave.
Yes, your shrimp will just eat them.

Steve

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was wondering about this too. I had remembered that my brother had fiddler crabs that molted and with them they said if you removed the old shell it would probably kill the crab because they needed to go back and eat it to get the calcium back that they lost. I wasn't sure if it was the same with the shrimp or not.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
This is 100%^ true. It is not necessary to leave it in there though.

I've heard that the exoskeleton is a good source of calcium in the shrimp diet. I always liked to chase my sister around with the exoskeleton.
I was wondering about this too. I had remembered that my brother had fiddler crabs that molted and with them they said if you removed the old shell it would probably kill the crab because they needed to go back and eat it to get the calcium back that they lost. I wasn't sure if it was the same with the shrimp or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.