The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all,

Im guessing they are getting eaten but thought ill do a double check. Few weeks ago I got 20 CRS and have them in a 30 litre nano. Foam over the HOB filter intake.

I noticed 1 died sonleaves me with 19, the tank looked a bit low so after recounting several times I now only have 14... WTF !

No dried out bodies anywhere near the tank so they haven't climbed out.

If they died would the others be able to also eat the body and shell overnight or during the day??

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
how old are the shrimp? Are they adults, juveniles or peewee? they will be cannibalized at any opportunity, more so at younger age being unable to fend for themselves during the feeding frenzy

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say they are a mix of adults and mature juveniles maybe 1 cm or so long... I have quite a few females that are berried.. if tbey eat each other whats best way to try protect the young?

Here are a few pics for sizes. For scale thats normal ADA aquasoil as substrate.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i would add a lot of mosses to the tank. you will find their offspring survival rate increase significantly. Another method is also to feed in different areas of the tank to prevent the shrimp balling that we commonly see. This actually looks great to us but actually does harm for their young who often are inadvertently trampled to death.

does the tank have adequate ph/GH/kh as well? having too low or too high can also cause problems which sometimes are visible in weeks time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks I have a 10cm x10cm patch of moss but ill get more.

I feed different areas also. For the ph etc what sort of figures should I be looking at?

The guy I got them from just ran 95% RO and 5% tap water for years without issues. Ill have a check in a while and come back with the figures.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
These are the ideal water parameters for crystals

PH: 6.2 – 6.6 KH: 0 – 2 GH: 4 – 6 TDS: 100 – 180 Water temp: 21 – 23

my ph tends to be around 6.5-6.8 so i can understand why mine do not breed prolifically due to being at the upper range of their tolerances. My GH is roughly between 4-5 and the TDS is often kept below 200 ppm.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok ph is between 6 to 6.5. Test kit only in .5 steps. Kh is 0 and gh I need a new kit as its not changing colour on either the tank or tap water.

My temp is at 24-25c though as thats the ambient air temp and nothimg I csn do about that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts