The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone every experienced CRS molting and dieing halfway through? I woke up this morning to 10 CRS that way.
It's a 10 gallon. pH is 6.0, no CO2, moderately planted, ammonia- .25, Nitrate/ntrite 0. temp is 74 (no heater, just ambient). thanks been set up for 2 weeks. It's been planted and i've been running an eheim 2223 from a previously established tank. Shrimps were introduced 2 days ago. I dose excel at half the requirements.
Thanks for input and advice.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Could be that the tank isn't cycled if its only been 2 weeks. Having any ammonia can hurt crystals and I find they prefer older water that has had time to build up lots of micro-organisms and such. For crystals, I wouldn't add them to a tank that hasn't been running for at least a month or two. I experienced the same thing, although not as many by adding them too soon.

Why is pH 6.0? Is that your tap water, using special soil or using RO water?

·
Banned
943 Posts
To keep CRS you cant have any ammonia in the tank. Its what likely killed your CRS. Two weeks isnt really enough time to fully cycle a tank even with seeded media.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I think planting a tank too soon too can affect the way the beneficial bacteria form as they are competing with the plants. My last 2 fishless cycles went, media from another filter, and fish food for days in the tank to create ammonia, then feeder guppies then plants as the levels dropped.

The other thing that I've read, although not researched much is that the benefical bacteria on a filter have a harder time living at a pH of 6.0 or lower, so it takes longer to form.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Substrate is Yubao.
There are CRS that are still perfectly fine in there, but they are half molting and dieing. If it was the ammonia, then wouldn't they just die?
An eheim 2232 is for a 20-40 gallon tank, wouldn't it be enough for a 10 gallon? I pulled the filter media and such from other tanks to seed this tank.
I've heard mixed opinions on planting. Why wouldn't i want to plant? Wouldn't plants take up the excess nutrients in the water, also aren't the beneficial bacteria on the plants too?

So a WC and move my shrimp out?

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
What is your GH? For CRS/CBS, it should be between 4 and 6, but more on the 4 side. TDS? They like an environment between 130 and 200 or so although there is some debate on this. Dosing nitrates? In a large tank it's probably no big deal, but if it's a nano then you'd have to worry about spikes. Many people advocate almost no water changes, or at the most, 10-15% once a month. If your other parameters are spot on, then you shouldn't need many, and as others have said, these shrimp don't care for new water much.

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Bump. Okay this is interesting because I had this problem too. I really cant find any info on this Yubao substrate literaly anywhere.

I mean anybody in TPT ever used/ atleast heard of this substrate? I really need reviews or research on it.

It just bugs me this substrate buffer the water to atleast 6.0PH OR maybe lower (I dont have the tool to measure lower PH.
Secondly I think this substrate leech amonia around .25ppm for quite some times that no one ever know/ inform about that cost their shrimps to die, including mine too. (ie everyones know that aquasoil leech ammonia for the first couple of weeks)

So maybe by reviving this thread somebody can chime in and solve it once for all.

As from the thread I started http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/s...170250-shrimp-molted-then-died-literally.html I'm still skeptic that my RCS died because of 6.0PH. As OP mention his ammonia was .25 also, I found this interesting.

I know that I did not mention any CRS on my thread, but yes I put some about 5 S grade CRS, they all died slowly over a period of 1 week (1 or 2 died each other day)

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
What is your GH? Perhaps the substrate is stripping your water column out of all the calcium/magnesium. How about your TDS?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
something triggered the molting, as in a sudden change in tds, ph etc...
The half molting death scenario may also be attributed to insufficient calcium or other trace minerals in the water.

There's something definitely not right with the environment. CRS' and a newly setup tank is a recipe for disaster... too high of a risk to take, at least for me...

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Question, when there are ammonia .25 are present in 6.0PH how bad is this? I've read ammonia is not really that dangerous in low PH because it turns ammonium?

The thing is as OP and I mentioned the shrimps did not die all at once but 1 or 2 or 3 deaths per day and so on untill all shrimps are gone. Which is weird while all these deaths occuring, the remaining shrimps are still alive and eating until they died as well.

Just confused how is there no info on the subsntrate literaly.
Yes it was probably a bad choice because the entire bag was printed in japanese and had no clue what is said.

Just wanted to clearify things and gather information when anybody going to get this substrate in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
KH 1 is not good.CRS prefer 0.How did you acclimatize the shrimps. I mansion that if I acclimatize them for at least 2h there are almost no dead lather one. In general when adding new shrimps to the tank there is 2-3 weeks risk period. At least in my setup.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I agree with GeToChKn, new tanks are just CRS killers. Ammonia in that concentration alone won't kill many shrimp at once at PH 6, but your tank is not matured so a lot of chemistry is still changing and unstable.

I believe KH 1 is not bad, as long as your PH is stable. Hope everything works out and stabilized for you.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The ammonia leeching is normal on a lot of planted tank substrate. ADA Amazonia is really bad about this.

ADA recommends DAILY water changes for the first week, slowing to every other day the next week, and eventually down to weekly.

Even if you weren't using a substrate that leaks ammonia at first, 2 weeks is way too young of a tank for CRS. A normal tank takes 3-5 weeks to fully cycle, and that's if you do it correctly (most people don't provide a large/consistent enough source of ammonia).

You can use various "quick cycle" products to help speed up the process, but none work as well as they claim, and they won't build up the biofilm that CRS primarily eat.

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
KH 1 is not good.CRS prefer 0.How did you acclimatize the shrimps. I mansion that if I acclimatize them for at least 2h there are almost no dead lather one. In general when adding new shrimps to the tank there is 2-3 weeks risk period. At least in my setup.
My KH is 0-1. I dont know if its 0 or 1. It takes 1 drop of KH reagent in 5ml sample water to turn the water yellow instantly.

Some info from SCAPE forum: http://scapeclub.org/forum/showpost.php?p=151797&postcount=5

This substrate does leech Ammonia for long time. Now I know why I had constant .25 ppm ammonia in my tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts