The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know shipments can be stressful on CRS. Mine were 2 days in transit. I took a few hours to acclimate and my tank water params were all fine and where CRS like them.
ph 6.4-6.6
gh 6 drops (may have climbed to 7 this morning but not sure if I counted right)
kh 2
no ammonia, nitrites, low nitrates (new tank w/ old filter media)

I used distilled water with Aquavitro minerals, prime

This morning I found 2 deaths, I assume this is always a risk when shipping, but just wanted to settle my mind that is what happened. Unfortunately I don't have a TDS atm

The others aren't moving around much - couple walking around - others huddled up around rocks, I saw a lot of swimming around the tank last night.

·
Super Moderator
16,051 Posts
Doesn't necessarily mean they died as a result of shipping stress. I've had Bees sit in the mail for longer with no issues.

How new is your tank? Most Crystal keepers prefer to 'cycle' their tanks for 4-6 weeks -- even with nice filter media -- before adding shrimp.

Have you tested for copper? Water temperature? Did you disturbe the substrate? What kind of plants? Did the plants or items in the tank come from other tanks or hobbyists?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know this morning I kept asking myself whether I put prime in all the distilled jugs or not. Well put just a tiny bit with a little bit of nutrafin betta plus (has IAL extract) and they are all moving around now and looking for food. Maybe that was the problem, gotta slap myself now :p

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry i didn't give more information - it is a 10g tank, set up for about a week with Fluval Stratum (ya sorry thought filter would be enough) with some tiger lotus, java fern, glosso patties from a member here and one plant coming from Petco. Temperature has stayed the same, around 74

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There was also one molt in the shipping bag. Is it usual for them to swim around a bit when introduced to a new tank?

Should I get a copper test? Even if using distilled?

·
Super Moderator
16,051 Posts
Prime isn't typically something you have to use with distilled water. Only water that contains chlorine or chloramine. Additives are also something you'll want to stay away from unless they're specifically something people use for shrimp.

Normal for them to swim around.

It's important to know whether or not there's copper in your tank and it is possible, depending upon the source (plants, water, equipment, etc), for copper to end up there. Rare, but possible.

While shrimp can live in new tanks, part of the problem is likely the newness of everything. A week isn't enough time for a healthy environment to develop. Takes a while for biofilm to grow on the surfaces within the tank, for bacteria to colonize the substrate and such.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks, I was wondering about the Prime myself, but wanted to be on the safe side. I also read a few members that use melafix with their water changes for their shrimp, thus why I added the IAL treatment. I am working on their new tank now and will definitely give it more time to establish itself. Unfortunately sometimes these things are a learning experience, but I am doing my best and taking in all the advice I can from you fine folks. There may have been a chance of substrate getting messed around, that Stratum is so light it is easy to disturb it.

I will pick up a copper test to be on the safe side. Thank you all for your advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts