The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will some one please clarify this one for me.
Have looked on several different sites and answers vary on matrix crossbreeding answers.
Will they interbreed in the same tank?
TY Karen

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
First off I believe Dark Green Shrimp require a higher pH and CRS.

They're both Caridina so there is a chance of them crossing I guess, I doubt its likely.

-Andrew

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Andrew....I have 4 pregnant ones in the CRS tank they have been there for quite some time and would like to move them to a higher ph environment. I'm just afraid to being pregnant and all. Someone said the same thing and has kept the two together for several years he had no problem. But just my luck.....

·
Banned
2,470 Posts
I have heard of people having them together with no problems, but as ahill said, as soon as you notice funky babies you will need to seperate the pure adults or the shrimp will soon all look like crap.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The decision is made will remove the greens, I'll for now place them in a 2.5 g with a sponge filter. Or even with some blue pearls, from what I'm reading BP & G require almost identical water conditions??? That way I can slowly re-adjust their water. I have seen a few babies (Green) scooting around with a mag glass, but they will be caught and moved as they grow and I can get to them easier, heavily planted tank.
What run on sentence that was......
The 15T that is sitting empty in the den right now will hold shrimp. Its a toss up between blue pearls or yellows. That tank has the bones of being a great looking tank, I just need some design help.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It appears the greens had given birth prior to moving. We have sooooo many baby greens. These babies are incredibly tiny. There are a few juveniles in the tank.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
As far as I know Blue Pearls are same parameters as all similar shrimp. (RCS, Yellows, Snowballs, etc)

You know, another option would be to just send me one of the species. Then you could have a simple tank!

Just a recommendation.

-Andrew

·
Registered
48 Posts
Congratulations on the baby green shrimp!!!! :bounce: According to the chart at Crustaforum your dark green shrimp and CRS won't interbreed.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the past several hours...I have been parked on & off next to this tank with a Mag glass watching Momma Green give birth. Those of you that have seen this WOW so cool.
She is about 4" from the top of the tank at the back next to the glass parked on the Ehiem tube upside down. When the baby emerge that fly over to the tank glass. Interesting that this tank has no algae, but that particular area has a small amount of green glass. That is the area that all recent births have flocked to. The glass has babies in varying ages. Remember 4 prego green shrimp. This was the last one to give birth. Their head part of their bodies seem to really grow fast. They are so little.

What I don't understand with a large patch of floating Ricca she pics an Eheim tube~~~~
Does anyone know how long it takes for her to completely give birth to all the eggs??

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Andrew you are :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Do we have babies!!! Last night I taped on the Ricca patch and out flew a enormous amount of baby greens. This may not be their ideal water conditions...but they are thriving. So I guess with this batch of babies one could keep these in conditions that we keep CRS.
I find myself at night plopped down on the floor with a mag glass totally fascinated. Last night a couple made it down for some shrimp pellets. Cannot wait for the CRS to berry up.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
well if you ever need to thin out your population let me know. Ill be happy to get some dark greens off of you. However, the potential to interbreed is there, if they do is another question. Simply by genetics it is possible since they belong to the same genus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts