The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have finally found out that my husband likes CR/CB Shrimp. So, now, I have a few questions reguarding this species as I have never kept shrimp for anything other than feeding to predaetory fish.

1.Is it bad for CRS and CBS to cross breed? From what I understand they are the same species, just a diff color variation.

2.Will CRS/CBS cross breed with a "ghost shrimp"? Also known as a Grass Shrimp or "feeder shrimps".

3.Will my tank offer enough hiding/shelter for 10 CBS/CRS? (see signature)

My plans are to get 10 low-grade CR/CBS' and see how they fare/fair(?). Then if all goes according to plan, dish out the money for 10 s/ss grade. I planned to get my low-grades from the swap-n-shop here, but as for high grades....

4.Does anyone know of any good places to get s/ss graded CRS'?

5. As for my last question, is there anything special that this species requires? Any special needs?

ANY information will be appreciated! Thank you!
-Kitty:D

----
oops, I dont have a siggy on this forum! /facepalm! here is the link to my tank: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech-forum/98054-kittys-low-tech-budget-20g-5.html#post964061

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
The Bee hybrids will lose their color over the generations, and you'll end up with just a muddy-colored Bee shrimp.

No, they cannot hybridize with ghost shrimp, but ghost shrimp have been known to eat shrimplets so I wouldn't mix the two. Keep in mind also that there are many species of shrimp that go by "ghost," but most are from the Americas, whereas Bee shrimp come from Asia.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Bee hybrids will lose their color over the generations, and you'll end up with just a muddy-colored Bee shrimp.

No, they cannot hybridize with ghost shrimp, but ghost shrimp have been known to eat shrimplets so I wouldn't mix the two. Keep in mind also that there are many species of shrimp that go by "ghost," but most are from the Americas, whereas Bee shrimp come from Asia.
I never even thought of that. If that is the case Ill just keep CRS'. I do not want to cross breed anything and end up with abominations, even if it just a weird gross color heh heh.

Could Yellow shrimp or SnowBalls cross with CRS'? I ask because I like them alot and he likes the CRS'. If it is too much of a hassle, I'll just end up with CRS' because frankly, his interest in the thing is more important to me LOL!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Have you had a tank that has successfully maintained any shrimp yet? Maybe cherries? If not I recommend you start with cherries which are known to not be as fickle for conditions before moving on to CBS and CRS. If the cherries do not make it then you'd likely be just setting yourself up for disappointment and money wasted on CBS/CRS. I attempted cherries twice in a well-established 5 gal hex and both times the populations did not last more than a few weeks. Cherries are not hard to keep but they do need a stable tank and I guess being so small my 5 gal hex, though quite well-established (over a year) was not good for them. Later (last June) I started a 60P (18 gal) tank and finally a small population of cherries survived and started breeding. I then have been slowly adding some CBS/CRS and so far they are surviving but not breeding yet that I can tell.

·
Registered
160 Posts
+1 to Rich.

Also..as the higher the grade of CRS the more fragile and sensitive they are. I've been keeping everything from cherry shrimp to SSS CRS. let me know if you really want to get into it and i'll help you!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks alot guys!

I was reading up on the CRS' and my water PH is too high for what is reccomended, at least right now. The tank was set up on the 10th so it isnt anywhere close to being established. I really like the yellow and blue pearl shrimp and from what I was reading they are super similar to the RCS' in care and water preferances. (I just like the yellow/blue pearls better heh)

I am SUPER interested in getting a colony of CRS' going. So much to the point I surf the web looking to find new stuff and info, which takes up half my day. If my husband hadnt acted so interested I would have just settled for my yellows, blue pearls, or snowballs. But I am trying reallllllllllly hard to get him away from this "a fish is a fish, a plant is a plant, a shrimp is a shrimp...and they are not intelligent" attitude. So you could imagine my shock when he said 'I like these shrimp" after showing him pictures. He even likes the low-grades heh heh.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I recommend, instead of going with CBS or CRS, just get some wild bee shrimp. This is the species of shrimp that the CBS/CRS color morphs come from, only, since they're wild they are not as fragile, and their gene pool not so limited. In short, you will have a much better chance of them surviving as opposed to the selectively-bred ones.

Personally, I like the look of the wilds much better than the CRS/CBS. Don't get me wrong, those look nice too, but the wild ones just look gorgeous, with the mixture of brown/gold/white that they show.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Will CRS and CBS really crossbreed to make muddy bee shrimp? I always see people keeping them together.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Some CRS keepers also keep CBS in the same tanks. I've seen charts on the genetics of these shrimp that show what any given mating is likely to produce when you keep CRS and CBS in one tank. It is quite interesting.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
I'm one of these folks who keeps a mixture of shrimp... in a 10 gallon tank. The vast majority of shrimp are cherries, many of the females are very nicely colored reds. I also have what I believe were called "Sunset" shrimp, which appear to be an orange variety of the cherries. There are also some Bumble Bees in this tank, as well as a pair of Amano shrimp.

So far only the red cherries are breeding and producing shrimplets (and boy are they!!!). I hope sometime in the near future the sunsets and bumble bees join in!

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
CRS and CBS don't turn into a muddy shrimp... not sure how that idea got passed along. Red coloration is a recessive gene, Black is a dominant gene. You can think of it as like Blue eyed people and black (dark brown) eyed people. Blue being recessive, dark brown being dominant. If you mix the two together, you'll see more dominant gene offspring than recessive.

It really depends on the alleles of the parent's.
B = Black gene
b = Red gene

Crystal blacks can be Bb or BB
Crystal reds are only bb

Punnett square that

As long as the offspring carries at least one B, it will show a black phenotype.
Of course, this is a very basic genetics guide but it does give you an idea of what to expect in offspring.

Knowing whether your crystal black is BB or Bb will be difficult until breeding occurs.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
CRS and CBS don't turn into a muddy shrimp... not sure how that idea got passed along. Red coloration is a recessive gene, Black is a dominant gene. You can think of it as like Blue eyed people and black (dark brown) eyed people. Blue being recessive, dark brown being dominant. If you mix the two together, you'll see more dominant gene offspring than recessive.

It really depends on the alleles of the parent's.
B = Black gene
b = Red gene

Crystal blacks can be Bb or BB
Crystal reds are only bb

Punnett square that

As long as the offspring carries at least one B, it will show a black phenotype.
Of course, this is a very basic genetics guide but it does give you an idea of what to expect in offspring.

Knowing whether your crystal black is BB or Bb will be difficult until breeding occurs.
I thought there was a lot of partial dominance also involved, and that's why there are so many color morphs besides just red and black?

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I thought there was a lot of partial dominance also involved, and that's why there are so many color morphs besides just red and black?
There are, but that's if you go very into depth with the crystal red/black tree.
For the most part, black and red is all you will see.

Are referring to the red wine, ruby red, panda and king kong?
Because that just opens a whole new chapter of new gene dominance.
These aren't mud colored shrimp though, they're just even more recessive traits that are in the crystal shrimp blood line.

RW, RR, PD, KK aren't the only ones out there. You've got the blue bolt, hulk, golden/snow white shrimp and so on.

From what I've been able to gather from my readings, getting the intense red and/or black coloration of the red wine and panda line requires snow white/golden shrimp pieces. Apparently, mixing the two can unlock the possibility of RW, RR, PD, KK. I'm still not 100% sure on it yet but I'm fairly certain that's how you do it...

But again, if you say, mix a regular Crystal red (BB) with say, red wine (bb), you'll be getting mostly crystal reds.
Red becomes dominant over red wine.

I hope that clarifies things. Genetics can be confusing ;-(

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
There's a different type of bee shrimp out there, separate to the crystal line. Those bees are known as "new" bee in the Asian countries. They're similar but not the same as crystals. And by similar, I means it's kinda like snowball and cherry shrimp. Similar but different species. And I do mean species, not color.

There are times that crystal blacks come out looking somewhat brown. This is not due to the red gene but rather the black pigmentation is lacking, so the black isn't as thick as it should be and ends up looking a little brownish/black. Like a chocolate color.
Crystal reds get this color lacking symptom too, it's just that they still look red. Just not as "solid" looking, as others would describe.

Hope that helps!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Ahh- I probably just saw "bee" and I didn't realize that another species of bee shrimps is out there now. I saw them described as wild-types and assumed that these were what the crystal bees were bred from.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There's a different type of bee shrimp out there, separate to the crystal line. Those bees are known as "new" bee in the Asian countries. They're similar but not the same as crystals. And by similar, I means it's kinda like snowball and cherry shrimp. Similar but different species. And I do mean species, not color.

There are times that crystal blacks come out looking somewhat brown. This is not due to the red gene but rather the black pigmentation is lacking, so the black isn't as thick as it should be and ends up looking a little brownish/black. Like a chocolate color.
Crystal reds get this color lacking symptom too, it's just that they still look red. Just not as "solid" looking, as others would describe.

Hope that helps!
ok so keeping CRS and CBS in the same tank, I will more than likely have CRS' since red is the more dominant gene?

In laymans terms: If a red-hair human and a brunette-hair human have a child, its a 50/50 chance of either red or brunette? Or......would it be in lauras explanation "Auburn?" LOL :confused:

I get the basic concept, I am just confused. Id like to keep CRS and CBS in the same tank sometime in the future, but dont want to if it will mess up the colors. But if it would happen anyways, even in a 100% CRS tank, then it wouldnt really matter if the two colors cross-bred?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.