The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Trade in the S&S and another member offered me some RCS.

I would really like to take him up on it but I have never done shrimp in freshwater before and was wondering how well them might do for me.

One of my tanks has fish too predatory in nature I feel for them. The other has only a pair of corries. I think they would be fine in the latter tank if not for the amount of CO2 I pump into it. I have heard shrimp don't do so well in higher-tech tanks but was wondering what kind of limitation there are (especially in terms of CO2). Will it kill them or will they just not breed or have I just got some bunk info in the past?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a Trade in the S&S and another member offered me some RCS.

I would really like to take him up on it but I have never done shrimp in freshwater before and was wondering how well them might do for me.

One of my tanks has fish too predatory in nature I feel for them. The other has only a pair of corries. I think they would be fine in the latter tank if not for the amount of CO2 I pump into it. I have heard shrimp don't do so well in higher-tech tanks but was wondering what kind of limitation there are (especially in terms of CO2). Will it kill them or will they just not breed or have I just got some bunk info in the past?
I just lost two shrimp (Cherry and Amano) from jacking up my CO2 injection. I have a drop checker that's fairly mid-range green most of the time, but I got hit with an algae bloom so I bumped it up to a lemon/lime color. Shrimp were dead within 2 days. I'm not sure if it was the CO2 that did it or the drop in pH (went from about 6.5 to 6.0), but in any case, boooooo... :thumbsdow

Will

Will

·
Registered
93 Posts
I as well lost shrimp yesterday, two Glass shrimp and an RCS. Both, i believe due to upping the CO2 in the tank. Never lost any in my non CO2 nano.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I use a paintball system and have never had trouble with co2 and shrimp (ghost and RCS). If you are pumping it up high enough for your shrimp to die then your fish should be struggling too and it is overall just to much co2. Also I have heard that co2 makes them want to breed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Are you talking about CRS or RCS? They are different :D

RCS should be fine and breed well - I have mine in a high tech setup and they are still breeding like mad! CRS on the other hand probably won't fare that well in terms of breeding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.