The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi People, If I keep a tank with 3 different color shrimp and some true colors come out can I call them as they look or are they automatically crossed?
For example If I kept a tank with blonde, blue and black shrimp and some come out perfectly black, can I call the babies black or are they crossed?
I hope im explaining this right

·
Super Moderator
16,076 Posts
Hi People, If I keep a tank with 3 different color shrimp and some true colors come out can I call them as they look or are they automatically crossed?
For example If I kept a tank with blonde, blue and black shrimp and some come out perfectly black, can I call the babies black or are they crossed?
I hope im explaining this right
What species of shrimp? Neocaridina are just Neos and culling is almost always necessary regardless of color strain. A cross with a different color variant pretty much guarantees the end of the line and selective breeding would have to start all over. Frequently when crossing Neos, dependent upon genetics, you'll end up offspring reverting more in the neighborhood of wild-type coloration. (Brown, mottled, et al)

Caridina are a different beast but culling is also often necessary - dependent upon lines, breeding history.

If you mean crossing in terms of hybridizing Tigers with Caridina/Bee? Those are hybrids and their bloodlines will never really be 'pure' again. It's a practice that's popular with newcomers with no appreciation for the critters in our care and one that longtime hobbyists and conservationists like me frown upon. It's problematic enough that some breeders in the hobby can no longer be trusted.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What species of shrimp? Neocaridina are just Neos and culling is almost always necessary regardless of color strain. A cross with a different color variant pretty much guarantees the end of the line and selective breeding would have to start all over.

Caridina are a different beast but culling is also often necessary - dependent upon lines, breeding history, that sort of thing.

If you mean crossing in terms of hybridizing Tigers with Caridina/Bee? Those are hybrids and their bloodlines will never really be 'pure' again. It's a practice that's popular with newcomers with no appreciation for the critters in our care and one that longtime hobbyists and conservationists like me frown upon. It's problematic enough that some breeders in the hobby can no longer be trusted.
So here is what happened, LOL. I bought 3 different color shrimp and put them all together because I was told they didn't breed true anyway. I bought Orange eye blonde Tigers, Orange eye Blue tigers and Orange eye Royal blue tigers. The store was actually out of Royal blues so they substituted all but 1 for 2 Orange eye Black king kong extremes
They all went together. HOWEVER I fell in love with the black ones and put them in their own tank, then ordered 3 more
During the time they were mixed they must have crossed with a royal blue because all these rich blue babies came out with no stripes and orange eyes. I thought they were culls so I got rid of them, only to find out the black ones take a month to color up from that blue color. I was really pissed that I got rid of them but i have decided to buy them back from the LFS i sold them to. I intended to sell them because they are rare and I don't want everyone around flooding the market
So today I am wondering if the black ones I have from the crossed mix (my true ones are slow breeding) are worth selling quality or just keeping as pretty shrimp
Edited to add some of these baby blues have colored up into flawless black shrim and kept the orange eye

·
Super Moderator
16,076 Posts
There aren't enough shrimpers to really flood the market with anything these days, unfortunately. But if you isolate your strains and focus on health and stability for a couple years, you could have something popular. Takes more time to get really strong, solid Tiger strains. I personally think it's worth the effort. You've already discovered how cool they are.

Keep in mind that pretty much any shrimp is quality enough for selling as long as you're clear about their genetics. Even wild-type Neos. Some experienced shrimpers will buy random strains like that to freshen up their own blood lines. Other shrimpers will buy them just because they like them. Sell them as juveniles if you can and not as adults because they'll be more adaptable to different tanks. Keep tank journals, document things, post photos. That way people will be able to get a feel for your husbandry practices and the health of your tank(s).

My Pure Red Line Crystal Red Shrimp strain has been perfected over 14 or so years (for anyone reading this: please don't contact me about buying shrimp. This is not a sales area.) They're all high grade and breed 'true' no matter what. I'd never hesitate to say they breed true.

My Snow White/Golden strain doesn't always breed true, though, so I'd never tell anyone that they do. Granted, I don't work as much with them and don't have any information about their pedigree or lineage prior to receiving them. But even after a decade? I'll occasionally get Blue Bolt offspring. I could isolate and selectively breed them like you're going to do with your Tiger strains, I suppose.

just keeping as pretty shrimp
The deeper you get into this hobby, you'll find yourself loving the oddballs that pop up. Not even for breeding. Just for enjoyment. My cull tanks often end up being the most exciting because you never know what's going to be flitting about the plants.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There aren't enough shrimpers to really flood the market with anything these days, unfortunately. But if you isolate your strains and focus on health and stability for a couple years, you could have something popular. Takes more time to get really strong, solid Tiger strains. I personally think it's worth the effort. You've already discovered how cool they are.

Keep in mind that pretty much any shrimp is quality enough for selling as long as you're clear about their genetics. Even wild-type Neos. Some experienced shrimpers will buy random strains like that to freshen up their own blood lines. Other shrimpers will buy them just because they like them. Sell them as juveniles if you can and not as adults because they'll be more adaptable to different tanks. Keep tank journals, document things, post photos. That way people will be able to get a feel for your husbandry practices and the health of your tank(s).

My Pure Red Line Crystal Red Shrimp strain has been perfected over 14 or so years (for anyone reading this: please don't contact me about buying shrimp. This is not a sales area.) They're all high grade and breed 'true' no matter what. I'd never hesitate to say they breed true.

My Snow White/Golden strain doesn't always breed true, though, so I'd never tell anyone that they do. Granted, I don't work as much with them and don't have any information about their pedigree or lineage prior to receiving them. But even after a decade? I'll occasionally get Blue Bolt offspring. I could isolate and selectively breed them like you're going to do with your Tiger strains, I suppose.

The deeper you get into this hobby, you'll find yourself loving the oddballs that pop up. Not even for breeding. Just for enjoyment. My cull tan
ks often end up being the most exciting because you never know what's going to be flitting about the plants.
You have just described what is happening to me. it all started last year with Dream blue neos. No one had them around, I had no one bargaining whatsoever. It was all Shut up and take my money! When they started bargaining I lost interest because I basically flooded the market as neos are very easy to breed. Now Im into the blacks. black everything lol
so Im selling (or going to whenever they decide to berry up) the BKK's, im selling black Venezualan corys. But all of this money is going to fund my beloved Chocolate Gouramis that ive been wanting so bad LOL. Those are just for me I can only get them from Victoria BC and its going to cost me more than the fish just to ship. Watching all these plans starting to unfold is making me really antsy about my upcoming fish order 🙃
I keep my mixed batch as pretty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts