The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some new shrimps and they are sharing the same tank right now, will there be any crossbreeding issues with these types? TIA

CRS (Caridina sp. 'Crystal Red')
RCS (Neocaridina denticulata sinensis (Cherry shrimp))
Bee (Caridina sp. 'bee' )
New Bee (Caridina sp. 'new bee')
Neon Green (Caridina cf. babaulti spp. 'green' )
Ghost (Palaemonetes paludosus)
Pearl (Macrobrachium cf. mirabile)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Bee and CRS and possibly New Bee. I know that the Bees were where CRSes were originally bred from. Your RCS should be fine assuming all of the others are not Neocardinia species. Sometimes the scientific labeling seems wrong... I swear Cardina Multidentata should not be in the Cardina genus at all... they only breed in brackish to salt and live in fresh...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do want to the CRS/Bee to breed since I only have one lonely CRS.. so hopefully I can increase my CRS population using the Bee shrimps..

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I do want to the CRS/Bee to breed since I only have one lonely CRS
Well CAF is right. If you want to have more CRS you might get the Bees to breed with the 1 CRS but more likely you will have them breeding with themselves and a tank full of Bees which is also great:proud: Remember to keep the water quality at its cleanest to have breeding and survival of the babies;)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The problem with one CRS and multiple bee shrimp is the genetics. The red in the CRS is recessive and the black in the bee shrimp is dominant. With one CRS (bb) and one bee shrimp (BB) you will not get another CRS until the second generation. The second generation would be only 25 percent CRS. Only way this could really work is if you isolated your CRS (if it were female) with a couple of bee males. Or better yet isolated your CRS (if it were a male) with multiple bee females.

·
Registered
174 Posts
No intention to hi-jack, just offer support. I have a tank with cherries, amanos, a bee and a crs. I love the crs, but I gotta admit my new favorite is the bee. I find he doesn't destract you from the scape, but when you find him its really exciting. Kinda like where's waldo. At first I wanted to transistion my nano to a crs tank, I'm re-thinking that right now and looking more at bees.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
No intention to hi-jack, just offer support. I have a tank with cherries, amanos, a bee and a crs. I love the crs, but I gotta admit my new favorite is the bee. I find he doesn't destract you from the scape, but when you find him its really exciting. Kinda like where's waldo. At first I wanted to transistion my nano to a crs tank, I'm re-thinking that right now and looking more at bees.
I agree. But CRS are a must have, so you need to have a few:icon_wink ...

As everyone said the only things that will cross is the bee species...

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Bee and CRS and possibly New Bee. I know that the Bees were where CRSes were originally bred from. Your RCS should be fine assuming all of the others are not Neocardinia species. Sometimes the scientific labeling seems wrong... I swear Cardina Multidentata should not be in the Cardina genus at all... they only breed in brackish to salt and live in fresh...
Other Cardina shrimp need brackish to salt to breed as well not just Amano shrimp.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Other Cardina shrimp need brackish to salt to breed as well not just Amano shrimp.
That's true... And I'm pretty sure it doesn't have much to do with shrimpy stages as larva when classifying it has to do more with how the animal itself as an adult is. BUT there has been TONS of work done last year and I'm assuming there will be more work on dwarf shrimp this year, so we shall see!

-Andrew

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the information everyone. Hopefully I'll have baby CRS shrimps to share at some point since I can't get my hands on anymore CRS. I went ahead and moved the ghost shrimps out of the tank today since it seems like they might have been attacking and eating the RCS. I see them carry around a RCS every so often and I'm sure they didn't die from old age...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts