The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just finished scaping my 54g corner. Looking for some critique and advice. Not the best picture, corners are tough to photograph. Thanks in advance guys.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
the piece of wood is nice, very nice. I think you need to clump more plants around the wood so it looks like the wood is emerging from a forest of plants. I feel that your plants are pretty scarce but they will fill in. I am not a fan of the substrate, but if you like it that's all that counts. The fish are beautiful, the plants would look a bit more natural if you planted them in clumps of 3 instead of in straight lines along the glass.

it is a very good start, don't let me hurt your feelings. The wood is the best piece.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks jm, not hurt feelings at all! I welcome criticism especially as this is my first planted tank and i'm looking to grow from this. The plants have only been in there for aout 2 weeks so im hoping they fill in a lot more.

·
Registered
70 Posts
thanks jm, not hurt feelings at all! I welcome criticism especially as this is my first planted tank and i'm looking to grow from this. The plants have only been in there for aout 2 weeks so im hoping they fill in a lot more.
We all have to start somewhere bigblue. I would move your mid-ground plants around and in-front of the rock & driftwood. This will creates a good transition and also hide that "unnatural" look of the hardscapes once the plants grow. You might also want to split up the Hairgrass into small bunches in the foreground to prevent melting. Typically 2-3 crowns per bunch is ideal. That will keep the hairgrass from competing against each other for light, as well as create exponential growth.

Besides that, if it's your first planted tank - your doing great.

(unnatural driftwood vs covered: Before & After - Fallen Tree Branch Tank Journal )
(hairgrass melting reference: Reference 1 & Reference 2 )

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update from first pic. Changed the substrate, did some remodeling and added some more mid and background plants. I'd still like to fill in the whole back of the right side in with plants instead of seeing my white wall. Currently I have amazon sword planted back there and was expecting it to grow much taller but maybe with my low tech set up that's not possible? I'm thinking of moving the Amazon sword from the back to more mid and just planting the back with jungle Val as I've done on the left side of the tank. Any advice is appreciated as always.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hey Bigblue,

First off, welcome to the world of aquascaping and the only rule is, you are the only one that needs to love your aquascape! So all critiques take with a pinch of salt and use what you wish and discard what you do not.

IMHO, corner tanks are hard to scape, simply due to their unusual shape but it can be done. This tank lends itself to an island scape with the focal point centered. So think layering, with the taller plants in the middle back (basically the back corner) and lower plants in front of them. This essential gives you depth from all viewing angles.

Jungle vals grow very quickly , while Amazon swords will grow a bit slower, so dont give up hope on it just yet. Remember also, Amazon Swords are heavy root feeders, so supplement them with root tabs. Once it really takes off it could become a great focal point.

Hope this gives you some additional help.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
big blue, this is looking good. I like your new substrate much better, it looks way more natural. Keep feeding that sword root tabs and it will grow and fill in that wall soon. Swords love iron, and potassium. Whatever the plant is right front, looks like a crypt, is very pretty. Good job. I agree with the above that corner tanks are hard to scape, but I love the bow of them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I've put a lot if hard work into this tank and in really excited about it starting to pay off. I do supplement with root tabs but not as much in the back ad I was focusing on trying to help my higher light plants but I'll definitely start giving the swords more ferts. Corner tanks are definitely tough to scape, if I had known what I was getting into I would have chosen a different tank but its something I love doing so I'm not complaining. Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts