The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I wish the 'root' on the left was wrapped around a rock and it doesn't seem right to have the second largest rock all the way to the right.

Love the angle of that amazing wood, this is going to be really nice.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions and comments. I will take them into consideration when I mess with the scape some more tomorrow.

In the mean time, keep the critiques coming! :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Looks good. Here are a couple thoughts.

On a tank that's 24" tall and 18" wide, I think the biggest challenge comes in the form of conveying depth. The wood is the obvious focal point. What happens when you flip it 180 degrees?

When I look at scapes put together by the masters of depth (Dave Chow and Cliff Hui, IMO), there are a few trends that stick out.

- Dramatically sloping substrates. Most of the time we have 3"-6" slopes in our tanks, but they go much further.

- Use of many, smaller hardscape stones instead of or in addition to larger stones.

- Larger features go in front to give the illusion of infinite depth. Not sure how well that works with a black background, though.

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
I have one critique...it needs something more....Like, I don't know...maybe some WATER!?!?! Fill that bad boy (or is it a girl?) up!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I am loving that driftwood. The only thing I would do is add some smaller rocks to balance out those large ones and then start buying plants!!

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not 100% happy with it, but i think it'll look a lot better once it's all planted.
I tried to take a lot of your suggestions into consideration but it was hard!
Let me know what you think...

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll try moving that rock when I get home this evening, but that's really not the look I'm going for.

And I added a whole 9L bag of new Amazonia before I filled it. I don't think I'll be able to slope it any more.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.