The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my 50G SeaClear, it has been going since I think January. I am looking for some critique on the overall tank and also asking for some advice on what to do about the background...specifically the middle. I am pretty much happy with the hygro on the left, and think the moneywort will eventually fill out a bit better on the right with pruning and re-planting. However I am concerned about my Apon. boivinianus ever really filling out the middle. I have contemplated replacing one or both of them with stems. I have also considered replacing the moneywort.

Ideas?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also what about any potential foreground plants? I am not sure they would go with the overall vibe of the tank however I feel there needs to be something at least here and there on the sand. Petite perhaps?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Your tank looks very clean and nice. Some red plants would help break it up. Red tiger lotus, rotala wallichii and red flame sword are some of my favorites and very easy to grow.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Parva...a few of them scattered along the front except for the left end. Keep it down to about 5 of them...just accents really. Then put a bronze Crypt in the left corner just in frontof the rock which seems to point up. It to will fill out a bit.
Then don't remove but move the Apon on the left over to the right a bit and just left of where it is put a Madagasgar. The Moneywort is just slower than the Hygro. Put a couple of the clippings agaist the right end but in front of the black box.
Last but not least in that dark spot on the wood where the branches come together
is where a Nana Pettete would look real nice on the wood just under the piece sticking up. Parva need bright light is one reason not to put it on the left end as well as repetition. They also grow very slowly so won't clutter the front up after they grow
some but will be something in that aria.
Now that you know my insanity can be extensive just put what suits you...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I think a red plant such as the limnophila aromatica to fill in the back center would look nice, or if you like the apongeton type leaves, go for a red rubin sword or an ozelot sword would get wide and look nice in the back center. I personally think you have too many rocks up front but that's just my personal taste. The wood looks great the hygro and anubias look awesome, but I agree the back center is open. The bacopa will eventually take that corner over so be ready to give some away on ROAK's.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I agree with some red. Tiger lotus would fit well with the overall theme of your tank. Also, possibly some buces on that wood. They have amazing color and really make driftwood pop.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback! The tank was originally intended to be a West African biotype but that didn't work out so well as I opted to purchase Rainbows instead.

I think that a Flame sword would really fill out the middle space and create some color. Awesome suggestion on the sword I think I will do that. Now to get rid of the Apons or move them elsewhere?

I have a bronze tropica crypt on the left side...I could split it up and move some in front of that rock...I too think that would be nice. And sporatic parva would add something nice to the front. I had also contemplated Blyxa however am unsure I have enough light for their taste...only 2x39watt going currently.

I also have a few bronze crypts planted here and there in between the anubias...they are just too small to see at the moment.

Not familiar with buces...will have to look into them as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts