The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, they are all I have right now:

This is after several hours of trying different rocks and different configurations, different numbers of rocks, etc. So I'm not interested in starting all over again... but I can nudge things around a bit. I'm mostly concerned with that medium sized rock jutting out in front of the large rock. It's just that I can't seem to find any other place for it. I thought about sliding it over to the right a little, but I'm afraid it will make the layout seem too symmetrical. By the way, it's a 2.5g.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose that would be possible... do you think it would be too wide that way? I guess, now that I'm looking at it again, I do have some open foreground there... it's worth a try I suppose.

I will go ahead and try that and report back..

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think the small stone in the front left corner looks a bit out of place.

To me it appears that the scape is moving from low to high is moves to the right, and that small stone would look better on the left near the other smaller ones.

It does look very cool as is, though! I have not tried using stones at all, yet (besides the very small one for moss in my 10G). I may try it with my next tank.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I couldn't turn that stone on its side. It just looked awful. So what I did was I tried sliding it over to the right and angling it more. Here are the results:

Any improvement? Should I switch it back to the other way?

Devin, I tried removing that rock, but I feel like it's too bare there. I could try burying it more, maybe?

Any more suggestions, thoughts?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I haven't decided yet what I'll be putting in there, but I want this to be a non-CO2 tank, which limits me somewhat. I will add excel if needed, but no CO2. I need to experiment with the non-CO2 side of this hobby for a change.

So I'm thinking either marsilea, a moss of some kind, HC or UG (with a dry start).

Otherwise I could always go with E. tenellus 'narrow'.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I'm still experimenting and being indecisive, so I took 2 of the rocks out and made a few other small changes. I'm kind of thinking I prefer it this way, but something about it makes me feel unsure. Maybe, should I angle any of the rocks in a different way than they are now? Should anything be changed? Should I revert back to a previous setup?

Anyone's thoughts?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey thanks! I appreciate everyone's opinion, so if anyone else reading this would like to weigh in, please be my guest. So far I've got a vote for the current setup:

and I've got a vote for the previous setup:

Anyone? I've got the marsilea coming in later this week, so there's only a few days left for me to move things around. I already like it, so at this point it's just about fine-tuning. Thanks!

:)

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm a big fan of post #10. The scape looks as if it is scaling up left to right.

Just my 2c.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, cool! Thanks. That makes it 2 votes for the current setup and 1 for the previous.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay that makes 3 votes for the current layout, and 1 for the previous. I really appreciate your input, guys, so thank you very much. Please feel free to keep them coming! :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I like your last scape best as well, and like the tall height of rocks.
I actually padded mine for max height.
I used eggcrate and rocks to keep substrate locked in from sliding so I could have a slope.
Not sure if you guys(I'm a reef guy and using those techniques) use anything to keep substrate from leveling out over time?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I find that 3M Color Quartz, which is the substrate I'm using, is very good about holding a slope in the first place. But usually I position wood and rocks in such a way that they are providing structural support as well as a hardscape.

Eco-complete has a tendency to level out somewhat, IME, but it never got to be that drastic. It just definitely helps having some rocks and/or driftwood arranged in such a way that they provide terracing or sloping.

Oh yeah, that makes 4 votes for the current layout, 1 vote for the previous one. I'm seeing a winner here...

:)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Of all of them i think i like the current one the best, but i think i might like it more if you actually removed the rocks in front of the big one, the ones closest to the big one and kept everything else the same. i like the rocks. They have nice character

1 - 20 of 33 Posts