The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok everyone, i've kept with the same scape for awhile now, but its getting kinda old for me so here's the deal. First off, opinions/ideas/rants on my tank are encourage and welcomed, what would you do, what do you think etc etc.

Secondly, i've never officially named or had a theme of any form for my tank and I think it's time. Here's your chance to take part in someone else's tank other than your own (yeah, i'm sure we all need that burden ;)). If anyone would like to name this tank, put it down and lets see what we come up with! If's there's any questions about anything, I'll do my absolute best to asnswer. We'll go from there.

Thanks ahead of time!
Brad/snoz0r

To the goods, this is what it currently looks like as of 1-7-10 so you know what we're working with:

as per request, a few details about the tank, any and all other information can be found in tank journal via signature pic:

Specs:

Filtration/Flow: Eheim ECCO 2234 with Eheim SubstratPro, Hydor Koralia Nano
Lighting: 2 Coralife 30" Double Light's. 2 (10,000k) and 2 (6700k). 72W Total.
Heating: Hydor ETH 201 Inline
Substrate: 1 1/2 9 Liter Bags of ADA AS Amazonia I
Co2: Pressurized co2, 5# tank, Milwaukee MA957, using Hagen Elite-Mini for diffusion.

Flora:

Bacopa

Eleocharis acicularis (Dwarf Hairgrass)
Microsorium pteropus (Java Fern)
Alternanthera reineckii 'rosaefolia
Echinodorus 'vesuvius' (Echinodorus Angustifolia)

·
Registered
89 Posts
you should go with a tank scape where they have the little path in the middle of the substrate they always look nice. or add some manzanita wood. all your plants look nice and healthy.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Your tank looks great, but its very plain. the dwarf hairgrass lawn looks excellent, but also takes up nearly 3/4 of your tank from what we see. You should fill up the left side with some stems and add some branches of driftwood that go out towards the middle of the tank. on the driftwood, you could wrap some moss on the branches and will make it look really good. your plants look like they're in perfect condition so don't worry about that. maybe another rock or two to give it an almost iwagumi style look to it.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
i'd like to see the pot and the rock disappear. you've got the beginning of a great dutch scape there. i would consider that.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
steve_dowg: thank you very much, trying to do a path like you speak of however would require a COMPLETE rescape, ripping up all the hair grass. i'm willing to try new things, but i'm not so sure about that.. i'll keep it in consideration however.

nickcamp: your right, the DHG lawn does take up much of the tank, when i first planted it.. i wanted to find a way to "edge" it if you will... i haven't actually figure out a way of neatly or properly doing that however. if you or anyone else could help me with that or have ideas, it would be more than appreciated. i also 100% agree with the left side, the only reason i've left it empty is for the filter intake.. wasn't trying to block that for filtration reasons. however, i have another filter coming in the mail which will be here monday, from then on out i'll start filling in the empty space.

whiskeyfox: pertaining to what? if you mean flora/fauna/equipment etc, it's in my journal if you click on the pic in my signature, but for quick referance, i'll post a small run down.

oldpunk: i'd love to get rid of that pot too, the reason it was there was to encourage kribensis/apisto breeding.. any other ideas of something else i could use that would blend or be less obtrusive? i'd like to try and keep what you thought was a rock (it's actually a completely mosscovered driftwood chunk) but maybe incorporate it better in the design, but if unable i'll chuck it, it's just there in the middle in the attempt to somewhat hide that stupidly ugly pot. i have always thought of this to be more of a dutch scape myself, was looking for a few more "design" elements per say however.

anyone have any possible plant ideas? i really want some L. Aromatica, however the last time i tried to buy from someone here on the boards during the summer time, by the time i got it it was total mush and melted, i assume from the heat. same thing happened to some blyxa i ordered =(

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
i suppose if you brought the piece of wood more towards the front so that you could see more of it, it would look better (not that it looks bad now). also, since you want to keep the pot, you could try moving it over to the left leaving maybe 2-3" open behind it for something else tall and bushy. blyxa could totally hide the pot if placed in front of it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
You should name it...

Backwoods BLAZE

or

Ember GROVE

or

FLAMBE thicket

Of course, such names sound more like video game levels, but if you make it translated into french...then you have a winner! It IS nice, but the foreground -> background transition could be a bit better with something like HM, windlov java fern, stones, pelia, or maybe Creeping Jenny. Also, the bacopa would be a bit cooler if it was all together. I am not really that good at aquascaping yet, but... I know what I like!

... no I don't...

French names:

Incendie de forêt
Buisson brûlant

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
although i like telanthera. i dont think it works in your tank. i dont think that it contrasts well with your dhg. i really dont like the red in your tank at all.

maybe its because theres nothing to the left but i feel like there is too much going on in the middle of the tank.

i think that whats making the pot look bad in the tank is that its 3/4 of the way hidden. i think it would look better more out in the open (like in your journal on 9-24-09)

my biggest gripe is the equipment that's visible. i think you should find a better spot for your thermometer (hidden, tucked in the back, or better yet just put it in when you want to check your temp). filter intake and outtake would be nice as glass lily pipes they're barely visable. i hate equipment! i've recently stopped buying plants and fish, i'm now going for more stealthy equipment to try to make the tank as natural as possible.

also. i would never talk crap about your tank if you hadnt asked me to. your tank is your art and i appreciate it the way it is. so dont take my opinions personal

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
although i like telanthera. i dont think it works in your tank. i dont think that it contrasts well with your dhg. i really dont like the red in your tank at all.

maybe its because theres nothing to the left but i feel like there is too much going on in the middle of the tank.

i think that whats making the pot look bad in the tank is that its 3/4 of the way hidden. i think it would look better more out in the open (like in your journal on 9-24-09)

my biggest gripe is the equipment that's visible. i think you should find a better spot for your thermometer (hidden, tucked in the back, or better yet just put it in when you want to check your temp). filter intake and outtake would be nice as glass lily pipes they're barely visable. i hate equipment! i've recently stopped buying plants and fish, i'm now going for more stealthy equipment to try to make the tank as natural as possible.

also. i would never talk crap about your tank if you hadnt asked me to. your tank is your art and i appreciate it the way it is. so dont take my opinions personal
yeah, i personally hate the equipment as well, and like you said.. the thermometer isn't usually in there at all times.. the room has recently been cold and had just stuck it in to make sure the heater was keeping up.

i'd LOVE to have some glass pipes, but at nearly $100 per set, i'm not sure i can splurge on that quite yet.

and don't worry, i'm not heartbroken in the slightest ;) some people will like what's here, others will not, your opinion is gladly welcomed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i actualy disagree with timwag, i like the red. i dont like how it seems "broken" with the clumps of red on either side of the main planting. i like the way the red contrasts, so mabey move those stems into the main bunch? in the second pic i noticed some green plant in the midground in front of the red, i think it should either be cut back, or moved to the far right, it just seems leggy and out of place there. otherwise great scape! sorry of my lack of knowledge on the actual names of the plants.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your design has a triangle-shapes silhouette but the tall part stops in the middle of the tank interupting the entire flow of the tank. I would keep the triangular shape but reverse it (tall on the sides and short in the front) and use the tall plants to hide the equipment you used. The red plant makes a terrific focus but it unbalances the design because it is way too overpowering. Keep it, but trim it down or limit to a few stems. if you keep the grass - and I like it - then go with a light colored background to get that sunny meadow feel, even if you keep all the plants.
If you really want to understand aquascaping, do a research on basic design principles. Unfortunately, there aren't many articles on aquascaping per se but there are a huge amount of research on design for art, landscaping, photography, etc. that easily applies.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Not that i'm a seasoned aquascapist, nor have i ever aquascaped anything...but I think one thing that would make this tank look leaps and bounds better would to have some elevation changes in the substrate. Throw a few rolling hills in there. That ground cover plant is great!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Aquascape options

I think the red is great but you could use some more dark contrasts. You could consider crypt wendti brown or bronze. Alternatively a dark natural substance wood or rock might be an option.

You could use those for more height on the sides and back plus cover up some equipment.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
You can cover your pot with moss, or glosso, or mini pellia. It will hide it. Nothing wrong with the red. You just need some darker plants like Ludwigia repens to help in blend more. L. repens has some green and some read. It has smaller leaves so it also helps bridge the gap between long and shorter leaves.

You have a nice foreground and a nice background. You could use a transitional midground. Perhaps have your triangle go from right front corner to where it ends in mid back right now. So that means fill in from right corner going to back with a little foreground. I think that would add a lot. The midground length plants that you have seem to be mixed in with the taller ones. Maybe I'm not seeing it right...

The big mass of red bunch is just a little too powerful. Perhaps when some of the others catch up it will be fine. The one lone red one on the left looks out of place. It's not tied in to the rest of the scape. You could leave it all open on that side....

Great plant growth and color!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey man,
I think the tank's looking good.
A couple suggestions though...
Your driftwood is really hidden, I would consider moving it out into the open more.
Some moss on the branches would look good too.
And maybe replace the pot with a slate cave.
But other than that, looks great!
Let me know if your going to get rid of some of your Reineckki.

·
Registered
141 Posts
hey snoz0r,

nice tank and the plants look very healthy....great job.

If i were to change some things in your tank, i would

1 move the red plant to the left. not all the way but off centered by a 1/3 or so. it seems as if that plant is the focal point of the tank, and why not, it is so beautiful.

2 i would get rid of the pot and substitute it for a coconut shell. i take a coconut shell cut it in half, scrape out the white part and clean it very well. i dont usually do anything beyond that for cleaning purposes. i then take a rotozip or dremel tool and cut a half circle in it for the fish to get in. it kinda looks like a hut. my pelvicachromis love them. 1 coconut would give you to caves.

3. i would try and arrange the plants in a semi circle which starts near the front at the corners and furthest away at the middle. then i would keep the grass look in the whole middle part of the tank and show off that mossy driftwood.

4. it appears as though you have a branchy piece of wood in there as well. it is way too hidden. i am not sure what i would do with this, but branchy pieces of wood can look really great.

I think your tank looks awesome the way it is, but everyone would do something a little different. the fuuny thing is, i suggest all that and then i would do it, step back from the tank, assess the tank and probably move stuff around again.

good luck and give us an update with how it turned out.

Joel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts