The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can it fully submerged in water or can I emerge it about a couple of inches below water line? Just got a mid size planter for $5 at my local nursery.

·
Registered
120G planted, 10G breeder
12 Posts
Can it fully submerged in water or can I emerge it about a couple of inches below water line? Just got a mid size planter for $5 at my local nursery.
I grow mine in a small planter until it gets 12” or so, then plant them straight into my aquarium. They are impressive in their adaptation to an immersed state, and I’ve never experienced any melt. If they’re soil planted and mature enough, remove them carefully from the soil and gently rinse the roots with room temp water. I try to preserve all the shoots and am careful when handling them - so I was the roots into a loose ball and plant them directly into my substrate. They are prolific growers and will send out roots from all the nodes, making them easy to clip and regenerate. If not, they grow to the surface and and create an interesting canopy alternative to salvinia or the like...
Incidentally, this is also how I grow my hemianthus callitrichoides ....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Did not know they can creep all the way to the surface. I dont know if i should take it out of the planter to submerge or just let it hang on the lips of my tank. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts