The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use the General Hydroponics 3 part Flora fertilizers for indoor growing basil, tomatoes etc. They are pure, no sediment liquids that I think might be suitable for my planted tank but I thought I would post here first in case I am missing something.

If suitable, what ratios would be recommended? The 15g tank is a heavily planted with CO2 and the inhabitants are a few tetras and shrimpies. I am using Tropica premium nutrition now but it is expensive and I have lots of the General Hydroponics on hand. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Total Nitrogen (N).................................................5.0% 0.3% Ammoniacal Nitrogen 4.7% Nitrate NitrogenSoluble Potash (K2O).............................................1.0%Calcium (Ca)...........................................................5.0%Boron (B) .............................................................0.01%Cobalt (Co).......................................................0.0005%Copper (Cu) .........................................................0.01% 0.01% Chelated Copper (Cu)Iron (Fe).................................................................0.1% 0.1% Chelated Iron (Fe)Manganese (Mn)..................................................0.05% 0.05% Chelated Manganese (Mn)Molybdenum (Mo)...........................................0.0008%Zinc (Zn) ...........................................................0.015% 0.015% Chelated Zinc (Zn)Derived from:Ammonium Molybdate, A mmonium Nitrate, C alcium Carbonate, C alcium Nitrate, C obalt Nitrate, C opper EDTA, Ir on DTPA, Ir on EDDHA, Ir on EDTA, Manganese EDTA, P otassium Borate, P otassium Nitrate, and Zinc EDTA. Teaspoon Tablespoon Fl. oz. Quart U.S. Gallon5 ml 15 ml 30 ml 946 ml 3.785 LitersU.S. to MetricConversionsThis product should be used as part of a complete fertilizer program.334/1334/1334/1......................sgnildeeSdnasgnittuC231123112311...evitategeVdliM-esopruPlareneG231146226933.........htworGevitategeVevisserggA462246224622............................moolBotnoitisnarTBlooming and Ripening....... .... ...... ... . 1 132 2 264 3 396 FloraGro FloraMicro FloraBloomml/100 lit ersml/100 litersml/100 literstsp/gallontsp/gall ontsp/gall onBasicApplicationsTable946 ml (1 QUART)These values are intended to be used without supplements. When using supplements, please refer to genhydro.com for complete Feed Programs.These values are intended to be used without supplements. When using supplements, please refer to genhydro.com for complete Feed Programs.Specime

Copy and paste didn't really work from the website. But it indicates .3% ammoniacal nitrogen which my (admittedly terrible understanding) is the stuff we are using the nitrogen cycle in our tanks to neutralize. Meaning you probably don't want to be adding this on purpose to your tank.

Copper also appears higher then concentrations typically used for aquarium ferts.

Anyway I'd suggest using proper aquarium fertilizer. I hear you on the expense of tropica. There are many cheaper alternatives. Nicolg Thrive is typically recommended around these parts and a 500ml bottle lasts a long time for small to medium sized tanks. If you want to go cheaper you can buy the dry fertilizer and dilute it yourself with distilled water. This will last you years even with a few large tanks.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It could work as long as you have a roughly 10,000:1 dilution of fertilizer to tank water. In other words if you had a 100 L tank add 10 mL of Flora. Might want to start off lower than that and test for ammonia, but if my calculations are correct (and they seldom are) you would be putting about .3 PPM ammonia in your tank which a cycled planted tank should be able to process pretty quickly.

Of course that also means you would be adding 5 ppm nitrate, 1 ppm potassium, no phosphate (?)... which would all be at pretty low levels. It's probably best to stick to aquarium fertilizers.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think hydroponic fertilizers are too "hot" for aquarium plants. You are not growing tomatoes and peppers. So far I've found that I only need Iron gluconate and potassium- for Java ferns...that's it. I have an aquarium fish tank with plants of course..not a tank with tiny fish and Co2 and high powered lights. Plants in that will need more care in nutrition.
But let me tell as having worked in horticulture? Aquarium plants are nothing like hydro or farming or garden trees and shrubs. It's better to feed lightly and see how it goes with aquarium plants that as we all know can dry out to near nothingness on a hot day out of the tank.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Plants that survive in both emersive and submersive growth have different nutritional needs and different ways of getting and utilizing them. There are aquaponic nutrients that can be used even in hydroponic set ups but I've never heard of the reverse used. I'd be afraid of the copper, especially if you have now or plan on keeping inverts in the tank at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.