The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Tetra Whisper internal filter on my RCS tank. Would supergluing a section of the biofoam, which normally acts as a biological medium after the filter media, inside the intake grid be good enough to protect the baby shrimp? I'm concerned it might not be dense enough.

FWIW, I'm aiming more for a sustainable colony than breeding for sale but would like to raise enough to create a colony in the 29g.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I wouldnt superglue foam to it. It will plug up after time and will block flow. Go with the filter sock. You can find them online or the reef section in your LFS.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
For a 29gallon you are using the 30i right? The image you posted is the 10i. I use the 30i on my 10 gallon and over the intake I place a sponge INSIDE black pantyhose. I find if I just use pantyhose it clogs really fast since you still only have those 5 slits. However, if you place a sponge inside the pantyhose you have the entire surface area of the sponge so it doesn't clog at all. When you do water changes I just take a hose and suck up as much crap as I can off the pantyhose. That'll last me 2 or 3 weeks before I ultimately just take off the sponge-pantyhose and rinse it. If you do this, DO NOT change the filter bag and the sponge-pantyhose at the same time or you will lose a HUGE portion of your beneficial bacteria.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
It's the 10i in the 10g tank. How do you secure the hose to the filter?
Ah, sorry I misread the 29gallon.

I actually cut the heel section off as I find pantyhose to be longer than the entire filter when stretched. I leave the toe on so I can pull it taut and not have to worry about flipping the other end over the intake. Also, it stops the sponge that I place inside the pantyhose from slipping out the bottom.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I used to have the same filter in my CRS tank and a stocking over the bottom part worked very well to keep baby shrimp from getting sucked up.

I eventually stopped using it though because with the hood on that tank I couldn't raise it up high enough and shrimp were crawling up the downspout and living in it. Didn't harm them any but it made it a nightmare to clean.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
I used to have the same filter in my CRS tank and a stocking over the bottom part worked very well to keep baby shrimp from getting sucked up.

I eventually stopped using it though because with the hood on that tank I couldn't raise it up high enough and shrimp were crawling up the downspout and living in it. Didn't harm them any but it made it a nightmare to clean.
Interesting. Was this in a regular 10 gallon glass tank? I can raise the filter enough so that I fill the tank up leaving one inch between the top of the tank and no shrimps have crawled into my filter so far.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It was an old tank and an off-size. As near as I could figure it was around 17 gallons. The only hood I could find that fit it was too large. If I lowered the water level any further than it was then it dropped below the edge of the rim causing a bright glowing line at the surface of the tank. Not really the end of the world but it didn't match the other tanks and bothered me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.