The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am trying to make a moss tree for my tank. I plan on using Christmas moss or something like it on the branches. I am going to try to make something that looks close to the photo i attached. I do realize that I am not a pro like the person who created this - and I also realize that I will probably have to inject CO2 as well. What I am concerned with is the actual structure of the tree.

I would like to find/build this on my own instead of spending a lot of money on one. that being said, I am concerned about the wood I should use. As my father has a woodworking shop I have plenty of wood and could hypothetically cut and carve something into a nice shape.

Is there any problem in doing this if I boil the wood thoroughly before putting it in the tank? I was thinking of creating a cement base to weigh it down that would get covered by my substrate. let me know if this is a bad idea!

I also thought of coating the wood that I use in a clear epoxy to make sure the water is safe since it is not bog, or driftwood.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply! I would definitely use a really thin piece of cement. Let me know what you think about using wood and if I would need to epoxy it before adding it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update!

Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys. So here is my updated plan:

I will either use some type of wood from my dads woodworking shop (should I coat the wood in epoxy to keep it from rotting and from leaching tannins into my tank?) or I will find some really cool looking root structures to invert as my tree. (coat this in epoxy as well?)

I will also attach the tree to a small piece of slate instead of cement or concrete.

Let me know if I should seal/coat my tree with epoxy to keep it from rotting!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts