The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. Just wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to create a divider that will separate two kinds of gravels or sand and gravel pemanently.
    (I want a lighter colored substrate for the front of my tank, but I don't want it to mix much).
  2. Also how important is it to have water flow between the two substrates?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'd recommend going to a big box store and buy the thinnest peace of plexiglas you can find so you can bend it into shape (you might have to heat it a bit) then superglue it onto another peace to keep it in place then cover the base with your substrates. That should keep them apart as long as your careful in the tank.

- Brad

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
I just place rocks next to each other in my tank to divide the substrates, but some of it leaks through.

I like bradac56's idea, if you're a DIY kind of person. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use the edging like you use in a garden to divide e.g., the lawn from a bed (necessary around here where we have bermuda grass for our lawns - it is really invasive). I mean the black plastic stuff about 6" high that comes in a roll. You can get it at e.g., Lowes. I cut off the bottom edge, and cut it to height. Sometimes I cut off the top edge and put driftwood or whatever on top. Sometimes I leave on the top edge and assume that the plants will grow to cover. It seems to be just the thing to keep crypt balansae or vals from taking over the tank. I have it in all three tanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts