The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a roughly 30gal Wine bottle from Italy. Greenglass. My wife wants me to turn it into an aquarium for my kids room.

I has an opening about 2" across to work with.

My only thought is to use a PVC pipe center to run an airstone.

Any Ideas on filtration?

Total size is about 2' across at its widest and about 2' including the 5" neck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well anything is possible. You could squeeze a decent size air powered foam filter down there no probs.

If it was me, I might be considering cutting a larger hole in the back neckish area of the bottle to allow hoses etc to go in and easier planting etc, you could even run a small external filter that way if you wanted and any hoses etc would be hidden at the back rather than coming out the top.

Problems I see are things like what if a fish dies and you only have the top of the bottle to try and get it out?

Cant wait to see some pics when it's done.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I don't know about an aquarium made with green glass. I think it may be hard to see inside it well.

I thought about doing something similar with a 5 gallon pickle jar once, but the view through the sides was dissappointingly distorted.

In any case. I'm always interested in anything novel or original, so be sure to post a project journal if you decide to go ahead.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My first though is how old is the kid, and are they still at that age where they like to throw things?

As pointed out, it would be very difficult to work on such a tank, and the view through the green glass would be poor. I think you would do a lot better using more conventional tank, or one of those more unusual shaped tanks, like a wave front.

·
Registered
One Small All in one
284 Posts
I think doing something out of the norm sounds like a blast... I would just throw a Sponge filter in there and maybe get creative and drill out some driftwood and run an air line through it... other then that cant wait to see how it turns out!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
On appearance it doesn't look to be anywhere near 20 gallons.

What are the measurements.

I would use it for some other sort of decoration. You won't see anything in there. add water and any hardscape or plants and it will be all shadows.

A 30 gallon aquarium(rectangle) is 24 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 24 3/4....

A 5 gallon bucket is 11 3/4 top x 10 3/8 bottom x 14 1/2 deep in

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
He's right. It is about 20 gallons...not 30 but 20 gallons....spheres are really good at tricking the eye when it comes to volume.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Wow, it is deceiving, to say the least.

Say it was a cylinder, it would be around 34 gallons.

A sphere of 19" diameter would have something like 12 gallons. So somewhere in between there is what it is. Easy enough to calculate using gallon jugs or the like.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

A sphere of 19" diameter would have something like 12 gallons. So somewhere in between there is what it is. Easy enough to calculate using gallon jugs or the like.
Figured the same, just really didn't care. Figured it was big enough.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts

Now I wonder where all that wine went.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I think it would be better used as a bank for the kids. Let them pick something they want to buy, when it's full, buy it.

I have a 1 gal. pickle jar by the washing machine. When it's full pretty much always about $300.

That bottle full would be one wild afternoon for your kids at Toy-R-Us.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I think that it could probably work for a shrimp bowl.

Drop in an air stone because the opening might not be enough surface area for air exchange.

Shrimp friendly plants like moss would be easy to squeeze through the opening. You could probably attach anubias to small rocks (to keep them anchored) and drop them in the mouth of the bottle and then use some sort of long tweezers/forceps to move them around once they drop. Might have to sort of tie the leafs back/up when getting them through and then cut the string once the plants are in the jug.

Red Cherry Shrimp might be red enough to be visible through that glass and you wouldn't have to worry about picking any potential dead ones out as they don't have much mass and the others will scavenge them anyways.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.