The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/10-16-gram-Thre...ryZ22691QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I want to see if it would be possibly to make some type of co2 system out of one of these. I have access to a metal mill at school I could use to make some parts for it. I'm thinking about making a female adaptor for the threaded end with another female adaptor on the side. The top would have some type of pin that is threaded down to puncture a hole in the end of the co2 tube to start it. Is all that possible or is it just going to blow up in my face...

Oh, I want to do this so I can try it on a 2.5 gallon planted.

It be like a homemade one of these with out paying $130 for it!
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=15527&N=2004+113779

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any cheap way to rig up a paintball cylinder? Anyone done it? I'm thinking that my idea will not work. I would need some type of regulator to bring the psi done to 10 since that is what most needle valves need to operate. Basically, my original idea is no good unless someone knows how to make a diy regulator...

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
do a forum search for "paintball"
many people use 20oz cartridges
and RedSea even has a paintball
adapted regulator kit with even
a solenoid valve option. If you
have a sporting goods store near
that refills paintball Co2 this may
work better than a regular system
where refilling the cylinder can be
a pain despite it's infrequency.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do a forum search for "paintball"
many people use 20oz cartridges
and RedSea even has a paintball
adapted regulator kit with even
a solenoid valve option. If you
have a sporting goods store near
that refills paintball Co2 this may
work better than a regular system
where refilling the cylinder can be
a pain despite it's infrequency.
I know I can pay $150 for the stupid red sea setup, but I am a student... I actually own a 20 and 10 lb co2 tank. I have a JBJ regulator and a Jenco ph and orp controller. I just want to make something for smaller planted tanks, but I do not want to do yeast co2 because I hate mixing everything up every month!

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
If you piece things together and buy items in small quantities as opposed to bulk, you won't be able to get it much cheaper than a $150 Red Sea setup...especially if you factor in shipping.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I am better off just buying another regulator for $80 and using the 10 pound tank... Then use the 20 lbs tank on my 75 gallon...

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Go to your local bike shop and ask for the inflator for your 16 g co2. They will have all kinds of sizes all the way up to 25 grams. I have tons of micro
inflators for those things

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Go to your local bike shop and ask for the inflator for your 16 g co2. They will have all kinds of sizes all the way up to 25 grams. I have tons of micro
inflators for those things
Then what do I do with a tire inflator?...More explaining please?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not bad. I think I am just going to buy another regulator and use my back up co2 tank. Probably be cheaper than in the long run.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts