The Planted Tank Forum banner

crazy glue idea

3305 17
not sure if this has been mentioned before but here's another use for crazy glue gel that i've kinda taken from my reef keeping experience that's transitioned quite nicely to planted tanks.

better or as an alternative to tying plants (anubias etc.) to driftwood, i tried crazy glue much the same as reefers use it to frag and mount corals. works very nicely, plus you don't have to look at thread :D .

darryl
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I, as well as many others, have used this trick for a while also.

The superglue will develop a film as soon as it hits the water. You'll want to put the "bubble" of glue between your plant & rock and then rotate the plant rhizome on top of the bubble, essentially breaking the skin on the bubble and allowing new, fresh, glue to come out and stick.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yup, contact with water actually lays a skin on the crazy glue and no, it's not bad for plants or fish. put it this way, when a reefer frags a coral worth hundreds of dollars this way it pretty much means that plants will be ok with it:biggrin:.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
It's worth pointing out here that the original intended purpose for the stuff was to be a medical-grade adhesive for human skin. Therefore, it is generally a safe substance to work with. Stronger than all hell, but fairly safe nonetheless!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I use super glue exclusivily for attaching Anubias and Java fern. I got the idea from a reefer friend also. Just remember it doesn't take but a drop or two.

·
Registered
557 Posts
wow, cool idea......but let me make sure i get this right.....you actually apply the glue UNDER water?!
I don't know what other people are doing, but I just dry that section of rhizome as well as I can, apply glue to the rock, and press them together. It dries quickly, and then I put it in the tank.

·
Registered
792 Posts
wow, cool idea......but let me make sure i get this right.....you actually apply the glue UNDER water?!
You can do either. I just towel dry the rhizome and driftwood or rock and attach out of the water, but if the wood or rock are already in the tank and can't be removed then you can glue it underwater.

As stated earlier in this thread, if you are attaching underwater the glue will from a film that creates a bubble around the glue as soon as it comes in contact with the water. You have to press the rhizome hard enough against the wood or rock to burst the film or bubble and the glue then is in contact with both pieces and adhears.

Salties have been doing this for years when attaching coral to live rock.

Here is a piece right after I glued them. You can see the wood and plants are still quite wet.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
wow, very cool! I bet it work wonders when trying to get an anubias to stick in a harder to access with thread area too! And I'd imagine lots easier when trying to attach to rocks! So many more options with no unsightly string to hide! :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
if the wood or rock are already in the tank and can't be removed then you can glue it underwater.

As stated earlier in this thread, if you are attaching underwater the glue will from a film that creates a bubble around the glue as soon as it comes in contact with the water. You have to press the rhizome hard enough against the wood or rock to burst the film or bubble and the glue then is in contact with both pieces and adhears.
Wow, too cool! It never even occurred to me to try gluing underwater. I'm going to have to try it out soon!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.