The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
A few months ago I bought a trio (2f, 1m) of A.Borellii for my 10g heavily planted low light/low tech tank (no CO2). Its a mature tank running for about a year with 9 Normans lamp eye, 2 Ottos and 5 fully grown cherry shrimp. Its has a Toms mini canister filter, 15w of light and I dose fertz to maintain 10 N, 1 P and 20 K. The water parameters are: Ph - 6.8 to 7.0, NH4 - 0, NO2 - 0. I tried to keep the temp at 74 but with the hot weather its been around 78-80. I do a 20% water change every week with 1G Poland Spring distilled water and 1G of NYC tap water condition w Prime. I clean the filter media every 2 weeks and the filter every month. With the tank description out of the way here is my dilemma.
After about 2 weeks of the Borellii settling in the dominant female wouldn't stop harassing the sub female and the shrimp. Within a week my 5 cherries were dead. Eventually, after about a month, the sub female was dead. She next turned her attention to the male who was twice her size. Chasing and harassing him to the point where he would just hide. I couldn't believe he was backing down to her since he was so much bigger. I thought that maybe she spawned in one of the 2 caves I have in the tank and she would eventually leave him alone. Well, I came home from work last week to find him dead too. To put a final nail in the coffin when I arrived home tonight I found the dominant female listing on her side struggling to stay upright.
What the heck is up? As I said my water is clean. I'm fastidious about water changes and cleaning. Everyone and everything was growing and doing really well in this tank. The remaining inhabitants are all looking great. Oh, one thing I forgot to mention was their feeding. I feed them Spectrum Thera +A for small fish, Ocean Nutrition Spirulina, frozen bloodworms, cyclops and brine shrimp.
Any suggestions would really help. These were my first Apistogramma and I really love them but I don't want to get another group until I know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,
RP

·
Registered
231 Posts
Maybe the tank isn't big enough for each fish to have a territory, which could explain why the one female was constantly trying to keep the others out of her territory. For little fish, Apistos require quite a bit of space.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi,
A few months ago I bought a trio (2f, 1m) of A.Borellii for my 10g heavily planted low light/low tech tank (no CO2). Its a mature tank running for about a year with 9 Normans lamp eye, 2 Ottos and 5 fully grown cherry shrimp. Its has a Toms mini canister filter, 15w of light and I dose fertz to maintain 10 N, 1 P and 20 K. The water parameters are: Ph - 6.8 to 7.0, NH4 - 0, NO2 - 0. I tried to keep the temp at 74 but with the hot weather its been around 78-80. I do a 20% water change every week with 1G Poland Spring distilled water and 1G of NYC tap water condition w Prime. I clean the filter media every 2 weeks and the filter every month. With the tank description out of the way here is my dilemma.
After about 2 weeks of the Borellii settling in the dominant female wouldn't stop harassing the sub female and the shrimp. Within a week my 5 cherries were dead. Eventually, after about a month, the sub female was dead. She next turned her attention to the male who was twice her size. Chasing and harassing him to the point where he would just hide. I couldn't believe he was backing down to her since he was so much bigger. I thought that maybe she spawned in one of the 2 caves I have in the tank and she would eventually leave him alone. Well, I came home from work last week to find him dead too. To put a final nail in the coffin when I arrived home tonight I found the dominant female listing on her side struggling to stay upright.
What the heck is up? As I said my water is clean. I'm fastidious about water changes and cleaning. Everyone and everything was growing and doing really well in this tank. The remaining inhabitants are all looking great. Oh, one thing I forgot to mention was their feeding. I feed them Spectrum Thera +A for small fish, Ocean Nutrition Spirulina, frozen bloodworms, cyclops and brine shrimp.
Any suggestions would really help. These were my first Apistogramma and I really love them but I don't want to get another group until I know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,
RP
Still reading your post, but I'm in NY as well and am wondering where you purchased your Appistos? I wish they were easier to come by, such wonderful fish.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Agreed.

I found there was an awful lot of squabbling between the trio of Apistos I kept in my 65 gallon.

In a ten gallon, I imagine it would be nonstop.
Also, the TS may have had a particular specimen that was overly agressive. I wonder had this tank only had the Male and the sub female if there would have been different results. Or just the Male by himself.. Sounds to me like the only real issue here was the dominant female.

Also I wonder if this was a true Borelli or an Appistogramma Steel Blue or SP.. Which is frequently listed as Appisto Borelli. It's the fish in your avatar, and I've had them a couple times and found them to be hyper agressive..

Either way Borelli or Steel blue, an overly agressive individual specimen could have been the only real culprit here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies. I would agree with everyone regarding the tank size but on the apistogramma forum (forum.apistogramma.com) there has been a lot of success not only keeping them in a 10 but raising fry in a 10 as well. I'm not experienced in keeping Apistos so they probably know something I don't. If I try again I will surly go with a larger tank. But like Kamikazi said, why did the dominant female die after her rampage? Just another crazy female I guess :) JK ladies ...
Hey Drew, I'm in Astoria, pretty close to Woodside. I got the Borellii from Atlantis hatchery in upstate NY http://cichlids.net/.
Again, I'm not experienced but the fish I received looked like the Borellii I've seen in pics.
Thanks again for your input guys.
RP

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
That is in fact a hybrid steel blue. I had the LFS order me borellis, and that's what he got for me.:icon_lol:

That being said. The fish I was referring to as being agressive were A. Oregons, which were a little bigger. Most of the squabbling was between the females.

The steel blue is aggressive though. There's no doubt about that. Right now I have him in the tank by himself as it is pretty difficult to sex these fish unless the female gets frisky and turns yellow.

You can keep a typical pair of Apistos in a 10 or 20 gallon tank in many cases, but it's much easier and less stressful for the fish if you give them lots of space.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It wasn't difficult to sex mine, it was obvious who was male and female. She was yellow and ready to go. He was much bigger and was male Borellii. There was no mistaking it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.