The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had on large amano shrimp in my ultra free tech 55 for a month or so. While it can be pretty crotchety at feeding time it has been otherwise nice to my rcs. Well today on my lunch I noticed that petco had amanos for 2.29 ea so I picked up three more. When I got them home and started acclimating them they went berserk! I was afraid they were going to jump out of the bag..... Well as soon as i put them in the tank( I always feed a little whwn doing an intro as it distracts everyone) they were going a million miles an hour UNTIL one of them found the resident amano. Pretty sure the resident is a female now....this is less than 5 minutes after dropping them in the tank. Is this normal behavior?

On a side note I found two baby ghost shrimp in this tank recently. Originally had 8 adult size ghost shrimp in there and all 8 got removed due to bad attitudes. I thought they couldn't breed in freshwater?

Much more entertaining than the neons......

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
What is an ultra free tech? Do you use CO2? Yours in your tank would have been used to CO2 and the ones not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Free tech is whatever lights, filters, plants, tanks etc I got for free, traded or scrounged. I do not run co2 on this tank although I have been thinking about it as it would probably make the plants in this tank grow better. But the plants have been doing pretty well without it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Amanos cannot bring babies up in freshwater. They can "breed" but the larva cannot survive in freshwater - they need brackish.

Ghost shrimp can successfully breed and bring babies to full term in freshwater.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts