The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 3 dwarf crays now and want to know what to start feeding them.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
they'll also eat any store bought sinking pellets made primarily of shrimp meal and/or fish meal.
you can experiment with frozen mixed vegetables by dropping a bit of carrot and string bean
in the tank, and watching if they go for it. be sure to remove any uneaten portion as it can
biodegrade within a day and leave a mess behind.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Will's homemade snail biscuits, shrimp pellets, zucchini, HBH crab & lobster bites, bloodworms, occasionally mysis shrimp and oh yeah thawed frozen pea's with the skins taken off

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I feed Hikari Crab Cuisine. They don't go crazy for food. If they bump into it they eat it. The babies have been trained that the little yellow pellet is food and they go for it.

I also feed Hikari Algae Wafers occasionally and they aren't too crazy for that either. Again the babies are much more excited about it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
What are the blue crawfish I see in the store from time to time. My sister picked one up from a trade show the guy swore they where raised on flake food. The next day her 12 new neons where gone !!:eek:

She moved them to a gold fish feeder tank and the next day .5 of the goldfish where gone.:eek:

·
Registered
477 Posts
What are the blue crawfish I see in the store from time to time. My sister picked one up from a trade show the guy swore they where raised on flake food. The next day her 12 new neons where gone !!:eek:

She moved them to a gold fish feeder tank and the next day .5 of the goldfish where gone.:eek:
There can be quite a few 'blue crayfish' species. Cambarellus shufeldtii can even be 'blue'. Mine are completely harmless.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Probably a Procambarus alleni. Perhaps a Cherax sp. If I'm not mistaken, many crayfish will exhibit a blue mutation.

Mine exist on a diet of baby cherry shrimp, algae wafers, detritus, and the occasional piece of meaty food I'll drop in the tank.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Those are electric blue crayfish. They are not good with anything other then other electric blue crayfish and even then they will eat there own if one shows signs of weakness. They also get to be about 6 to 8 inches full grown. Allot of pet stores sell them. They are very pretty though.

·
Banned
582 Posts
I feed my dwarf cajuns my homemade food, shrimp pellets, and whatever I toss into the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts