The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a source of information for "all things crayfish?" Do any of you cray farmers have any advice for someone thinking of starting a crayfish tank?

·
Registered
199 Posts
A buddy of mine here in the NW had a bunch he collected locally. They all became HUGE. They didnt bother the fish any as long as they were well fed, only problem he had with them was the fact that they are escape artists. They always seem to find a way out of the tank!

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
PVC pipes as caves. Lots of surface area in your tanks.
Lots of food / guppies etc to keep them busy.

Get a couple separate breeder tanks (10 gallons) for male/female pairs.
After the female is carrying eggs separate the male in the tank away from the female.
Separate the female from the baby crays when they hatch.
Grow out babies in separate tank.

Going to take some space to make it all happen. 4 40 breeders, 6 10 gallon tanks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of crayfish are you interested in keeping?
Hey, Rachel... I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm still in the "do I really want to try this" stage of research. Are there some types of crays that are easier to keep than others?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PVC pipes as caves. Lots of surface area in your tanks.
Lots of food / guppies etc to keep them busy.

Get a couple separate breeder tanks (10 gallons) for male/female pairs.
After the female is carrying eggs separate the male in the tank away from the female.
Separate the female from the baby crays when they hatch.
Grow out babies in separate tank.

Going to take some space to make it all happen. 4 40 breeders, 6 10 gallon tanks.
Ouch, Gordon! My lovely wife isn't very enthused about the 5 tanks I have now... If I need 3-4 more, this project is over before it began.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
well something like cambarellus (dwarf crays) are relatively peaceful and can be kept with fish and other invertebrates. They are around 1.25" and can be bred in a tank with other critters. They do need enough space and places to hide after molting, but are plant safe too. They are probably the "easiest" as far as aggression goes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Crayfish are personal favorites of mine. I have kept several different kinds and they all offer their advantages and disadvantages. Dwarf crayfish are adorable and much more peaceful, but I think the temperament is half the appeal of large crayfish. Did you want to breed them or simply keep a few as pets? You could keep a pack of dwarfs or a single larger specimen in a 15 gallon or so tank with lots of decor, breeding them is a whole other story.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well something like cambarellus (dwarf crays) are relatively peaceful and can be kept with fish and other invertebrates. They are around 1.25" and can be bred in a tank with other critters. They do need enough space and places to hide after molting, but are plant safe too. They are probably the "easiest" as far as aggression goes.
Now this is what I was looking for, y'all! This is doable! I know how feisty "crawfish" in the wild can be... I learned to swim in a creek in NW GA as a kid. I've been pinched more than once, unfortunately.

Next month, I may be looking for a few dwarves to start a new 10G. Who has the 411 on a source?

BTW, thanks for the info y'all. Y'all are awesome!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Now this is what I was looking for, y'all! This is doable! I know how feisty "crawfish" in the wild can be... I learned to swim in a creek in NW GA as a kid. I've been pinched more than once, unfortunately.

Next month, I may be looking for a few dwarves to start a new 10G. Who has the 411 on a source?

BTW, thanks for the info y'all. Y'all are awesome!
Aww the fiesty is the best part! I loved having mine lunge and rip carrot slices out of my hand. Dwarfs are cute and all but they lack the killer instinct that makes the bigger ones so much fun.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aww the fiesty is the best part! I loved having mine lunge and rip carrot slices out of my hand. Dwarfs are cute and all but they lack the killer instinct that makes the bigger ones so much fun.
I'm a grandfather with small grandchildren who call me Buff Daddy. I don't need feisty creatures (that look like nightmare fodder, at best, to a toddler) lunging at anything while I'm watching my aquatic zoos with the little folks.

I can hear them now: "Buff Daddy, that thing wants to grab me!" LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.