The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a free crayfish from petco, he's pretty large.

Two things:

First, he has a hole in his claw, it's perfectly round.

Second, he has little white worms on him, they look and move like inch worms, only much smaller, I'd say a few millimeters long and about 5 hairs thick. They're by the front of his mouth just inching around.

Should I be worried about these little "inch worms"? And do you think they're what caused the hold in his claw?

I will try and get pictures up but he hides a lot, but he does eat when I drop a wafer in there.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
All of my lobster's and crayfish have had those little worms at some point. I've never done anything about it. I've never lost a lobster from them. I think they attach themselves by the mouth to grab food as the lobster eats. Is the worm bobbing up and down? I've never seen them on anything other then my lobsters. As far as the hole, I've seen that as well I think its from doing battle, I'm not 100% sure though. It should go away next time it molts. I don't know if you've kept them before? But they will escape the tank if you don't have a good lid. I've found mine crawling around the house. Also if they get a hold of a fish they will kill it. I just lost a 6 inch jack dempsey to a electric blue lobster about 4 inches long.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All of my lobster's and crayfish have had those little worms at some point. I've never done anything about it. I've never lost a lobster from them. I think they attach themselves by the mouth to grab food as the lobster eats. Is the worm bobbing up and down? I've never seen them on anything other then my lobsters. As far as the hole, I've seen that as well I think its from doing battle, I'm not 100% sure though. It should go away next time it molts. I don't know if you've kept them before? But they will escape the tank if you don't have a good lid. I've found mine crawling around the house. Also if they get a hold of a fish they will kill it. I just lost a 6 inch jack dempsey to a electric blue lobster about 4 inches long.
Yeah the worm bobs up and down...well hopefully they go away or I'll use the de wormer. And I haven't kept them before. I have a center driftwood popping out of the water so he can get air- not sure how essential that is. But read it online. I have the water level down an inch or so, I'm sure he'll figure out a way to get out eventually though.

Thank you for your response!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Yeah the worm bobs up and down...well hopefully they go away or I'll use the de wormer. And I haven't kept them before. I have a center driftwood popping out of the water so he can get air- not sure how essential that is. But read it online. I have the water level down an inch or so, I'm sure he'll figure out a way to get out eventually though.

Thank you for your response!
Crayfish have gills they get oxygen from the water like a fish. They do have the ability to breathe outside of the water as well. If their gills dry out they will die. As long as there is oxygen in the water they shouldn't ever have to go to the surface. I've never used dog dewormer with lobsters or crayfish so I couldn't tell you how they react to it, but they are really hardy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.