The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and you get there to meet the seller and it's tweekers in a tweeker pad. I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've met mostly solid people on Craigslist. A small majority are undesirable, enough so that I try to meet in neutral locations now.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I buy and sell on CL all the time. Several transactions a week. I've dealt with some sketchy people both buying and selling. It's all part of the game. I bailed on a deal yesterday when I found out the seller wanted me to pickup in a REALLY sketchy part of Philly. A place where people get robbed and murdered frequently. I woulda stuck out and the amount of the transaction didn't make me comfortable (several hundred $)... Just be careful.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Had to look up the "tweeker" term. I don't think I've ever step foot inside a tweeker pad, but if it looks anything like "BrBa" doesn't seem like a good time.

• What kind of aquarium related item were you trying to get a "deal" on?

I recently looked at a 40 gallon long tank. Seller NEVER posted a picture, but was only asking $20. On my way there, he mentioned it came with a light hood & a heater.

Sounded nice on the phone, very helpful, but when I pulled up and actually met the guy, I was like "Oh damn." I had to call a friend to get a 2nd opinion on some issues I immediately noticed with the tank.

• Center brace missing
  • Resealed & hold water, but the silicone job was just completely messy.
  • Slight chip on one corner
  • Front was scratched up.
  • Plastic trim was brownish color
  • On the exterior corner, I assume there was a nice big dried rat turd clinging on for dear life.

Making the call gave me enough time to recover my senses to say, "Thanks for taking the time to hold this for me, but this tank isn't going to work."

Glad I met with the seller while there was 30 minutes of daylight left because I first contacted him the NIGHT before.

Also the winter has done some major damaged to the private roads & are filled with massive potholes that can easily jack up your wheels if you don't see them. Last thing I want to do is change a tire in the that neighborhood when it's 20 degrees.

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Sold my 210g aquarium to somebody that was odd. They talked me down $30 and then went back up, lol. I don't mind that kind of odd. :hihi:

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've only ever bought on CL, but have had all good experiences. Relating to this hobby I got my 5# CO2 canister that way.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hours of fun reading the personals and missed connections. Lol

I open carry my xd never had an issue with cl.
Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tweeker = meth addict

My wife got me into that one. 4 pub chairs for $20 and they were even in better shape than ours. (I guess we needed more.)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hours of fun reading the personals and missed connections. Lol

I open carry my xd never had an issue with cl.
I'd love an XD9 so bad. I just sold my CC weapon so I'm a little more hesitant to do shady deals if I don't feel 100% comfortable in my gut...

Sent from my phablet.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ohhh I love Utah I can carry my ar on a sling on my back. I got a bi tone xd40 I love it

·
Registered
588 Posts
Craigslist is nothing more than an extension of the general population. Not all people are sketchy or looking to rob, but some are.. The same sort of people you'd meet at a grocery store, a bar, or even a church function. The good with the bad.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Craigslist is nothing more than an extension of the general population. Not all people are sketchy or looking to rob, but some are.. The same sort of people you'd meet at a grocery store, a bar, or even a church function. The good with the bad.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Well put. It's amazing how many scams are on there though. When my sister was looking for a new car she must of had to have emailed 15 people before she got a real person with a real car for sale. Always the same story too. "It was my sons car....he was killed in Afghanistan"...it's amazing the lengths people will go to to rip you off.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You should try getting a chick to join in on some fun you'll go through 800 then you might just maybe get a chick who is really a dude lmao

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I can get lost in craigslist for hours sometimes....The rants and raves are always a favorite section where the cesspool of my area congregates to spew

I've gotten some great deals on CL though and a lot of decent free stuff...Sometimes there's some good deals to be had on CL you just gotta be persistent

I will agree on the weird people part though, one person I bought a tank from once on there told me that it held water (and I believed him) but after I started looking at seals he proceeded to get the hose and fill it up to show me HAHA

·
Registered
509 Posts
one time, when iwas looking for a car to buy, imet with this guy who was selling a 99 Galant and it turned out to be a hardcore white thug guy smokong cigarettes in our face. ihad to pass the car up lol

a few weeks later ifound a 97 honda accord for sale. met with the guy and turns out to be the same hardcore white thug guy lol

iwas like wtheck. howd you get this car so fast.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hahaha. You guys and your guns. The other day I was looking at the numbers for how many concealed carry permits there are for my area. I can't how many women around here are carrying firearms in their purses. Way more women than men.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts