The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on a new scape for my second shrimp tank and I wanted to use some thin twigs. I don't particularly like the idea of using twigs from outdoors since it could have pesticides and such on it. I live in a city and my backyard backs to city regulated property and a busy street.

Because of that, I decided to try out some twigs/branches from Hobby Lobby. They look something like this.

Has anyone else used craft store twigs/branches/wood? If so, how did it hold up? So far I've been boiling mine continually for 4 days and it is STILL leeching tannins. I'm not entirely sure where else to look (and I don't want to order online).

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
are you sure those arts and crafts sticks haven't been in a chemical dip or something before they even reached the store?

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
I got all my wood and rocks outside, gave them a bleach bath then a dechlore bath and all is good.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, they're all natural ones. The ones that are treated are separated and usually have some kind of odd sheen or coat on them. These do not. :icon_wink

Also I wanted more interesting twigs which is another reason for not using the ones I find outside. I don't particularly like the way the branches look nearby. They tend to be very thin, brittle and often have flaky bark etc. Even after I removed the bark and cleaned them it still isn't quite what I wanted.

I suppose I could spend more time looking, but I don't exactly have that extra time :icon_sad:

It is a good thought though. Perhaps I can look one day that I am on vacation or something. :proud:

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
Those sticks do look good. post pictures when you start puttin them in your tank! and if they're still leaching tannins after 4 days of boiling i think there will be very minimal leaching in your room temp water lol

·
Registered
198 Posts
I use the Willow Balls from Michaels Crafts. The small and medium ones are not treated...beware the large ones are varnished. No problems...6 months in use. No staples, no glue just wrapped.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I use the Willow Balls from Michaels Crafts. The small and medium ones are not treated...beware the large ones are varnished. No problems...6 months in use. No staples, no glue just wrapped.
cool! you could cut holes in the side and use those a caves for fish.

I can also picture using these to develop a Hobbiton themed tank.
Plant moss over a bunch of these, half holes in them for "doors", stack them and fill in around them with substrate and plants to make a hillside.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
I'd be less worried about pesticides on collected branches than I would about possible chemical treatments on even "natural" hobby store branches. You're going to have to soak/remove the bark/boil them anyway

1 - 11 of 11 Posts