The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While re-siliconing my 25Gal recently I cracked the top black rim/brace while attempting to get it out for the project. Its cracked towards one of the corners and now I am worried about the integrity of the tank. I read in a few other threads that braceless might work in some instances - however my dimensions for the tank are 30"L , 12"D , 16"H. I believe a height of 12" and under would sorta get away with it but am thinking that I might be taking a big gamble here with regards to my tank.

So my question is, if I were to stick it on cracked anyways with sufficient silicone, would it work? at least 3 corners will be supported - better then nothing? If I can, how would I stick it back together? I got crazy thought experiments in my head about using a hot metal rod to melt/weld it together but like I said, they're only thought experiments mostly yielding less-then-desirable results. Can I make my own brace? Wood? Metal? Acrylic? Any thoughts? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you mean a center brace or the black rim? your tank seams to small to have a center brace
The black rim.. i assumed it was aka brace since it holds the four glass pieces in? But its the rim in this context.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two corners on my 40B are cracked. I super glued them and filled it up. Holding so far. I think it will be fine. People de-rim tanks all the time and they hold without issue. The biggest thing would probably be the glass on the long sides bowing.
Thanks for the insight :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts