The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i went out to my garage on Saturday to get a couple of my 10 gallon tanks so that i could bring the glass up to room temp with out breaking them.

Much to my shagrin leak from some place beat me to then all 3 of my 10 gallon tanks have cracks in the bottom. so my questions is y cant i just place a layer of acrylic on the inside of the tanks and silicon it in place to prevent any leaks.

Admittedly these tanks are cheap i think i paid 2$ each but that being said i don't want to by new tanks.

so can i fix them or are they going in the trash

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
By the time you buy acrylic and silicon you could almost buy new tanks. How did the leak cause them to crack? Sorry I'm from SoCal and don't understand cold. :)

SteveU

·
Registered
336 Posts
Any water + Cold (as in unheated garage) = Ice. Ice expands in all directions busting anything that doesn't move easily (as in glass). I've lost more rain-gauges, hosed nozzles and carts that I care to remember over the years.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Silicone doesn't adhere well to acrylic, but it does to glass. You could get a piece of window glass cut to the right size and silicone it into place around the edges. The cracked bottom would still hold the thin window glass so the water pressure wouldn't crack it, and the silicone around the outside would seal it.

If the existing silicone filets at the bottom interfere with sitting the glass right against the existing glass, you could put zigzag sillicone beads all over the bottom glass and sit the repair piece on that. The silicone would then cushion it and keep water pressure from breaking it. Naturally I haven't tried this, but I'm willing to experiment in your house:eek:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silicone doesn't adhere well to acrylic, but it does to glass. You could get a piece of window glass cut to the right size and silicone it into place around the edges. The cracked bottom would still hold the thin window glass so the water pressure wouldn't crack it, and the silicone around the outside would seal it.

If the existing silicone filets at the bottom interfere with sitting the glass right against the existing glass, you could put zigzag sillicone beads all over the bottom glass and sit the repair piece on that. The silicone would then cushion it and keep water pressure from breaking it. Naturally I haven't tried this, but I'm willing to experiment in your house:eek:

i think i will try this in one of my tanks once i get a free moment. and we'll do the next experiment in your house.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if there only 10 dollars i think i will just buy new ones for now and toy with the others l8r

1 - 8 of 8 Posts