The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "rescued" an old metal framed tank that a former neighbor was tossing. It looks like a ten gallon tank that housed some kind of small animal like a hamster or gerbil. Unfortunately, the slate bottom is cracked so I know it won't hold water even if the sealant is still okay (probably not). Is it worth trying to repair the tank or should I follow the neighbor's lead and toss it?

·
Registered
12,471 Posts
I "rescued" an old metal framed tank that a former neighbor was tossing. It looks like a ten gallon tank that housed some kind of small animal like a hamster or gerbil. Unfortunately, the slate bottom is cracked so I know it won't hold water even if the sealant is still okay (probably not). Is it worth trying to repair the tank or should I follow the neighbor's lead and toss it?
all depends on you.. Apparently there is a "desirability factor" for these old tanks. Most remove or "cap" the slate bottom w/ glass..

See this..

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=591529&highlight=

·
Registered
500 Posts
Save the tank!

With a little DIY you can have a really nice classic.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
I'll second saving the tank.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Plus, when it's all fixed you can post your pics and proudly say "I fixed this"
:proud:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay - I'm going to save it. I'm not confident in my ability to replace the slate so I'll probably just overlay it with glass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts