The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys.

I just noticed that my old glass heater cracked somehow. A lot of corrosion developed over the last day or two since water started slowly leaking in. When I tried to further examine it, the bottom piece of glass full of water and suspended corroded material fell out. White colored chunks (reminded me of batteries) fell into my tank with my filter on and got all over the place. The heater smells like a burned-out lightbulb. Nothing seems to be reacting to it, and I had just performed a 50% water change 15 mins ago and don't think the fish /shrimp would be ready for another.

Has anyone had this happen? Or know what metal could be corroding? I put some carbon in the filter, but I'll need to wait till later tonight for more water changes.

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Glass heaters are fairly prone to failure. water + electricity = corrosion

I'd try to get as much of it out as possible, though I don't think it should be too much of an issue as long as you are not running electricity through it anymore.

Get yourself an aqueon pro heater, I try to stay away from the glass ones as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Yep, never have had a glass one fail on me, but the horror stories convinced me to get an aqueon pro heater, they are a metal tube encased in plastic. You could probably beat a person to death before it breaks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya it was from the 90's. Reads: Penn-Plax. therma flow "PC". Worked great for a 20 gallon (no wattage listed). I think I probably broke it accidentally when shifting the driftwood next to it while vacuuming the tank or pruning.

It will be hard to get any of it out. I would have to move a large piece of driftwood and risk an ammonia spike with the dirt under it uncapped... I don't think I'm going to. Hopefully it will dissolve and be absorbed, and a few water changes will end any concerns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Switched to a COBALT NEO-THERM about six months ago and am very well pleased with everything related to it. No glass to break. Major space saver, blends right in (almost--relatively small, black in color) and extremely accurate with eye-appealing and clever design. Not the cheapest on the market (starting at about $60, but well worth it since everything is relative). Best wishes, collinm & Co. Best to you all...

PS: I do not work for any heater or aquatic supply company and never have; been retired for 25 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts