The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my bubble counter has a hairline crack in the plastic casing part that holds water. Is this ok to use, or will it leak co2?

You'll notice the white line in the right hand bottom side of the picture, just under the internal check valve. Sorry for the poor focus, my camera doesn't seem to do what I want it to.

Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
ya, it is pretty common for them to crack like that. either buy another one, get an inline one, or ditch the bubble counter all together. 3rd option would probably be the best to avoid headaches...

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
I gave up on the JBJ-style bc's a while back. I've busted a couple, and a couple more had chronic leak issues. Oh, and the "stainless steel" check valves in them are absolute garbage. I've used about six, and none lasted 6 months.

I like the simple, cheap inline glass counters. Probably $8 shipped from HK.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yo bro, where did you even get that? What happen to your DICI bubble counter (the only thing they did right).
The dici BC is what's on there now, that was my backup BC. But you're right, it's actually better than the JBJ style. Despite the fact that they're made in china, maybe because they're smaller / compact, they seem to hold up better than the standard brass JBJ style you see here. Go figure.

I gave up on the JBJ-style bc's a while back. I've busted a couple, and a couple more had chronic leak issues. Oh, and the "stainless steel" check valves in them are absolute garbage. I've used about six, and none lasted 6 months.

I like the simple, cheap inline glass counters. Probably $8 shipped from HK.
Glass counters eh? Is there one in particular you would recommend?

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Not really.

321041804051 or anything that looks like it will work fine. But you'll find that the bubbles are much smaller because of the smaller orifice, so the count will have to be higher for the same amount of CO2.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not really.

321041804051 or anything that looks like it will work fine. But you'll find that the bubbles are much smaller because of the smaller orifice, so the count will have to be higher for the same amount of CO2.
Thanks for the tip, I think I'm gonna order a few different types just to see what holds up better. I like the glass inline style, they kind of suit the whole ADA look, and I'm curious about the inline plastic with black BCs. I wonder how they hold up compared to the brass ones. I'm not a big fan of the cheap fluval plastic ones, they're just not really visually aesthetic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.