The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had CPOs now for almost one year. I had them breed and even sold a few. But overall I find them to be really hard to keep in a tank. I have one male that seems intend on killing off all of his own species. The last three for 2 months were him and 2 females. Both got berried and I had hopes. But I missed the day they released the kids and was too late in moving them to another tank. 2 days later one of the females was dead in the tank and mostly eaten by the time I found her. Today I found the shell of another shrimp and then the leftovers of another of my male's dinner, the last of the females. He is now alone in the tank and I am through with him. I will move him into a pleco tank once I have lowered the TDS so he can be safely moved but I will not get him any more of his own kind to kill off. The tank will become a shrimp tank, with no more killings going on. How do they survive in the wild if the males are this aggressive? I have had them in this tank and they take on one another but a lone tiny RCS survied and made it to adulthood. I am sure she still has nightmares but she is now savely in another tank.
Is this a rare observation or the norm? Do I have a serial killer of CPOs? Is he a psychopath?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.