The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to have these two exist in the same tank? I am not familiar with the temperment of the CPO and don't want to introduce them into an established cherry shrimp tank if the shrimp will be seen as food.

Thoughts?

Abe

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I thought my dwarf frogs would be ok with shrimp too, online most people said they live ok together.....till 1 day I saw the frog trying to a cherry. now they have their own tank. lol.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I had 4 adult CPOs and one lonely juvenile RCS in a 10 gal for over 2 months. It was heavily planted and I could not catch that one last shrimp even so I tried several times. Then I did not see her again and thought the CPOs finally caught her. About 2 months later I saw her again fully grown. I finally got her out of the tank but it seems that 4 adult CPOs should have been able to catch one loney young shrimp but they did not, makes me believe the RCS are a bit too fast for the CPOs. Or she was just extremely lucky.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, that brings a different angle to it. I mean I've kept crayfish but not dwarf ones. The regular pond caught mudbugs that I've kept are typically very slow and clumsy but I was going on the assumption that smaller meant faster and possibly even more cunning. hehe.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
CPO ate all the legs off my yellow shrimp. YUMMY!

Just because they're slow, doesn't mean they can't attack something. They're ambush predators meaning they lay in wait for something to get in reach of its claws before snapping. Mine would just wait inside their PVC cave until a shrimp walked in front and then would grab it's leg or arm or whatever and tear it off. Mean little buggers in my opinion!

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
It seems from tank to tank they are different. I keep a pair with my yellows and have not seen a single indecent of aggression. I do feed well though so that may have a lot to do with it. Only time they seem to be mean at all is when they bulldog their way to a piece of food. Like little bulldozers pushing shrimp of the little piece of food.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
2 males will always battle when they wander into each others territory. My pair get along great. The female lost a claw the 1st week i had her but its been a few months now and they cross paths all the time and just keep on moving. Hopefully one of these times they cross paths they will stop for a quicky lol

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
You'll be fine Howard, besides if they do grab 1 or to they are PFRs and repopulate like roaches on speed. Just try to get a pair, if you get unsexed juvies keep an eye on their behavior until they are big enough to sex.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Lol, crawfish are soooo great! Where I grew up there is a park that has about 15 or so huge ponds that all flow into each other running through the park. As a kid me and some friends would go catch a bunch of crays with a piece of string and a stolen piece of bacon from one of our refrigerators. Take them home and have ourselves a little lunch. Although a CPO is much smaller and a lot more expensive! If you end up not liking it you can send it my way with those TT :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This seems like it would be more of an experiment rather than an instant success and as my tank has aged I prefer to put animals in that have tried-and-true relationships. I wouldn't want to get rid of them if it didn't work out.

·
Registered
706 Posts
i keep yellows and cpo's together in a couple of tanks. I have yet to see one get caught and both populations are pretty large and growing (15-20 cpos of various gens, and over a hundred yellows per tank). the tanks are 30B though and heavily planted and scaped (rocks or pots and such). i also feed well and that is the key, mainly done to keep the damn cpos from eating each other when they molt. i seem to lose more cpo's from breeding, the males get ultra agressive and end up tearing off most of the females legs (smaller females). i sepparate them when i can, but still lose a female from time to time. i try to remove excess or bad tempered males when i see them and that helps. but back on topic, i have yet to see an issue with mixing neos and cpo's (i also keep my snowball breeding colony with white p clarkii with no problems). crays tend to be alot harder on their own kind than shrimps IME anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.