The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I bought 4 cpds yesterday (1 male 3 females) to add to my 10 gallon tank with 3 cpds. I acclimated them for about an hour before adding them into the tank.

So this morning, I noticed the new male, probably the biggest and most brightly coloured of my cpds, was at the surface of the tank, resting on some plants, and swimming to stay in position. Every now and then he would swim around but more or less to rest at the bottom of the tank or amidst some plants. At the top he looks like he's continuously breathing. All other cpds including the other 3 new ones seem fine.
I also noticed that he had a white discoloration on his left side, but im not sure if its just his coloration. He also has a red line behind anal fin. I'll attach pictures. I will post water parameters when i get back home. Did I just get unlucky with this particular cpd? Also should I remove him from tank/is it contagious?

Attachments

·
Registered
970 Posts
That doesnt look right atleast compared to the 10 I have. Just the fact you can get clear photos of him says to me something is wrong. Especially the males are super active. I am no expert on fish issues but would guess internal parasite maybe. The red vent and the white area which reminds me of NTD although I dont know how susceptible these guys are to it.

If at all possible I would highly recommend isolating him in a quarantine tank and try and figure out what to treat him with. Or at minimum to monitor him for a while and make sure its nothing if thats the case.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Quint, when I got home he had died. So something was definitely wrong. I have now noticed that the other 3 females I got are swimming somewhat oddly. Their tail end seem to be sinking whenever they stop moving and the smaller one in particular seem to be continuously swimming to keep itself stable. These 3 don't have the red mark or the white patch although its hard to tell cause the females are usually paler than the males. I first noticed it when I first added them, but i thought maybe they were not used to the flow in the in tank, however, my original 3 are not displaying this issue.

I am thinking of bagging them up and bringing them back asap tomorrow to the LFS as I do not have a quarantine tank...

Tank parameters are:

Temp: 23C
Ph - 7.4
Amm- 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - ~5
GH: 50-100 (5')
KH: 0-50 (3')

·
Registered
970 Posts
Parameters look good. Similar to what I have and havent had any issues so far (knock on wood). Curious if they were wild caught or farm raised. I have read that previously when they were all wild caught they had some issues with internal parasites. One of these was issues eating, they would look like they were eating but actually were spitting out all the food because they couldn't swallow it.

Sorry about the loss and issues.

Maybe @Discusluv has a better idea given the description of the issues. Dont like to throw her under the bus but her knowledge of fish sickness and treatment is about 99% better then mine lol.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Lovely looking fish, sorry to hear you've had issues.

I've had very similar problems with mine (in almost identical parameters) and am now down to 7 out of an original 15 bought around 4 months ago. Have used 2 different anti-parasitics for 2 rounds each and the remaining ones seem to have put on weight, but am still losing them slowly.

There's several threads across various forums with these issues and no clear resolution, really hope you get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Will copy and paste this from another forum. Not mine FYI and not sure it relates to your issue. Although overall your male looked relatively healthy atleast in the pics at least for a male which tend to be thinner then there female counterparts but then again pics can be deceiving.

"Wasting disease, sunken belly, etc. usually characterized by the fish trying to swallow some food and ends up spitting it out only to go hungry - looks like a sore throat.

This kind of thing is most often caused by a couple or three opportunistic protozoa. These would be Protozoa which are around most of the time and feed on most any decaying protein. Problems happen when the fish are stressed, poor water conditions or just don’t find food they are wanting. For some reason the throat becomes a bit inflamed through nonuse and the inflammation allows bacteria to work on the sore area. The Protozoa are most always around and once find the opportunity where bacteria are at work they move in. Their digestive enzymes, etc. adds considerably to the inflammation and irritation in the throat causing the fish to not be able to swallow.

Thus the fish picks up the food, rolls it into the back of the mouth but can’t make it go down and then spits it back out.

Flubendazole does not have to be eaten by the fish to be active on the parasitic Protozoa. It helps the fish recover from the sealed throat and allows swallowing again. The fish keeper needs to raise the quality of the water and add some food the fish will chase after and things will improve over the next 3 to 5 days.

A quarter teaspoon of 10% Flubendazole will treat 20 gallons of water. A flat teaspoon is about 7.1 grams and will treat 100 gallons. I package this in 25 gram bottles - that is about 700 gallons of treatment. But, repeated treatments are expected since the situation is likely to occur again unless the fish keeper’s habits need changing as well to prevent the same situation to be repeated."

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, yeah I've seen similar issues across other forums. This morning another one of the new CPDs died. I hope shrimp can't get infected or such, as one of them was on the dead one. I guess the LFS just got a bad batch. Apart from the first male that died, these 3 just seem like they have swim bladder issues, but i have a suspicion that its secondary to whatever it is thats wrong. i'm taking them back to the LFS.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Define acclimated for 1hr?

The red line behind fin could be indicator of osmotic shock if its between anal and caudal fin.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To acclimate them, I poured out some of the bag water, added 1/2 cup of my aquarium water to the bag every 15 minutes until it was almost full. I added them using a net. :|

·
Registered
293 Posts
To acclimate them, I poured out some of the bag water, added 1/2 cup of my aquarium water to the bag every 15 minutes until it was almost full. I added them using a net. :|

In my limited experience, I don't believe this to be the issue unless the parameters are crazy different. I have swapped CPD between tanks with no acclimation and never lost one to it. I would guess that it is a disease of some type and would probably follow the information @Quint cited. Also make sure your food is appropriately sized and that they are eating the food. Might be a good time to spoil the tank with a little frozen or live food as well to help the others put on weight in case they are similarly impacted. Just be careful not to over feed and also create a spike.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Conclusion

So after the death of the second new CPD, I bagged up 1 of the remaining 2 (i couldn't catch the other one, i thought maybe that was a good sign haha) and returned it to the store. They said they havent had any issues with the rest of their CPDs but told me to come back in a week once they've settled since they had just arrived. The next few days I noticed that the remaining new cpd in my tank was now swimming normally and seemed fine overall. I also realised it was male and not a female as it started to colour up a little. I returned to the store today, and the CPD i returned was fine as well, swimming normally. So I think I may have just got unlucky with the first 2 that died.
Although its interesting that they were visibly swimming oddly the first few days i got them but at least for these 2 it seemed to have been corrected? No idea what was happening there, would be great if anyone has an idea.
I didn't end up getting anymore from the store for replacements as I was offered, as i now have 3 males and 1 female in the tank and all they had left were males.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts