The Planted Tank Forum banner

CPD/Galaxy Rasboras and tank mates

18390 22
I have the 12g Fluval edge with about 12 shrimp, 4 neons and 3 zebras danios.

I'm thinking of adding 10-12 CPD's aka Galaxy Rasboras. Will they be fine in the tank with the neons and zebra danios or should I move any of them out?

Also any with CPD's.. do you feed them flakes, or live food? or a mix? any recommendations?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Definitely take out the zebra danios, they need a lot more swimming space. You could even take out the neons too and make it all CPD's which would look even better in my opinion!
I agree. The danios are speed racers in the tank. When I had cpd's I fed them flake and they were just fine. I always crushed it just a little bit to make it easier for them. I also kept ember tetras with them too. Great color contrast.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm taking my 2 shrimp to the work tanks.. so i I can move the zebra danios aswell.
There is also an apple snail and will be 12 yellow shrimp on Wednesday.

Do you think the neons are fine to stay or should they be moved aswell?

How many CPD's would be happy in the 12g edge?
I was also thinking of adding emerald dwarf rasbora's but leaning more towards the danios.

·
Invert Warrior
3,885 Posts
Danios need about a 20g.

I get really confused at why people want to throw so many kinds of fish into a tank with each other.. You really get to enjoy fish when you have only one or two species of similar sized fish in aquariums that are bigger than the recommended size for them.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
15 + the 4 neons is safe? Sounds good to me.. I know they are tiny so i'm sure they count as 2/1 for gallons of fish ;)

What do you suggest for floaters that would word in the edge (mostly sealed top)? (this is my first venture with live plants)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
15 + the 4 neons is safe? Sounds good to me.. I know they are tiny so i'm sure they count as 2/1 for gallons of fish ;)

What do you suggest for floaters that would word in the edge (mostly sealed top)? (this is my first venture with live plants)
Theres Duckweed, which is very common, you can float water sprite or Water Wisteria, or even a lilly would do, just something on top to detur them, or stop them, from jumping out of the tank if something spooks them.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well the tank is sealed on top (except for the filter/light hole) so i dont think they will be jumping out.. how ever i do like the idea of filling in something high up since the plants relatively small in a tall tank!

Plus it gives the fish more places to play :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
well the tank is sealed on top (except for the filter/light hole) so i dont think they will be jumping out.. how ever i do like the idea of filling in something high up since the plants relatively small in a tall tank!

Plus it gives the fish more places to play :)
You can also get taller plants, like val's or stem plants if you want something taller to sort of fill in.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
For filling height in this tank, if you can, do it with plants. They will also help filter your water. I have the same tank, and my first scape used rocks and drift wood to build height. I redid it with plants and it looks far better and my fish don't hide nearly as much. Jungle Val is a good one. My vals, rotala, and cabomba all touch the top, and it looks great. My journal is HERE.

Also, I'd recommend skipping floating plants in this thank. The design will cause problems with that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.