The Planted Tank Forum banner

CPD doesn't like new fish?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  hellofishies 
#1 ·
I added CPDs to a tank with nothing but cherry shrimp a few weeks ago, and they have all (7) been doing well. I happened to get 4 males and 2 females and a little one that I don't know the gender of, so the M:F ratio might be a little off. But they swim together and are very active and out in the open when the lights are on and they all eat.

However, 2 days ago I added a group of pygmy cories who are the same size as them. Being corys they are very friendly, but they do also like to school in the mid level sometimes. Every since I added these fish, 1 male (who is actually of the larger CPDs) started hiding and doesn't come out for feeding time anymore. :( He hides in the moss. When I bug him and he comes out, he seems perfectly healthy.

Wondering if this has happened to anyone before? And do you think he'll come out again?

#6 ·
Give them some time to get used to each other. I see no reason why they would not get along.

#7 ·
Being only 2 days since the corys were added I doubt you would see any symptoms of disease being transmitted. I keep active pygmy corys, active dwarf chain loaches, non-dwarf coys and guppies with my CPDs and they are all perfectly fine, no "hiding" because they are shy or scared. They so spend some time in their moss ball cove, but that is just because they want to.

Either that male just needs more time to warm up to them (they can be a little timid at first, but are bold once acquainted). Doubt in 2 days you would see any real smaller belly either though. Just keep an eye on him to see that he doesn't get too skinny, if he does, add extra flakes so they go down and he can pick at them during the night when lights are off.

#8 ·
seems normal for a fresh introductions.

My CPD's are weird. I had them at first in a community tank with panda's, SAE's, my betta, some rummy nose and neon tetra's and they never hid, were always out and about.

I then put them in their own tank...never saw them. About 2 weeks ago I introduced my betta to that tank with them (had no choice)....and they are really active. And i'm not talking about scared active, they just make their way all around the tank now....has kind of confused me

#9 ·
Quarantine issue: Ideally I would have a fully cycled tank waiting for fish, but I have small tanks in a small space, and now with the cories, pretty much fully stocked. If I had a giant tank in a larger house, I would definitely have a quarantine.

Yeah, He swam out a bit later today. Swam with his CPD buddies. He did look a little shy (vs sick). Of course it didn't help that when the CPDs are out, the cories are like "HIHIHIHI!! LETS JOIN IN!!!" :bounce: :bounce:

#10 ·
Haha yeah pygmy corys like to school with all types of fish. Mine school with my rummy nose tetras, espei rasbora and even the cardinals when they feel like schooling. Guess the big CPD is just a scaredy cat of the little o' corys haha. I'm sure he will warm up to them in no time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.