The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I set up an egg trap and cover it with moss. I check the trap every day, remove the eggs and set it again. All eggs that are laid outside the trap get eaten. In another tank I do not collect the eggs and I never had a fry made it yet in that tank either.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I set up an egg trap and cover it with moss. I check the trap every day, remove the eggs and set it again. All eggs that are laid outside the trap get eaten. In another tank I do not collect the eggs and I never had a fry made it yet in that tank either.

Wow.... never.. I guess I'll have to tear it down.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Same here, my females are constantly gravid in my 40b and even when I let the plant growth get pretty dense I've never seen a CPD fry. When I pull out my moss and shake it out into grow out tubs the eggs hatch pretty easily.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

can you show a picture of your egg trap?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I use a round plastic container with screw on top. Cut out the middle of the top and replace it with craft canvas from Walmart. Really easy to do. I put a rock inside to make it sink. Spawning mops do not work well with CPDs as their eggs are not very sticky at all. Spawning mops are great for corys if they use them.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
i would breed them out and then cult all the males and put them into a planted tank then keep all the females in their own tank with no males and focus feed them to get fat.. once full of eggs, you then want to add her to a breeding tank till all eggs are out of her then back to the female tank and the next fat female goes in... they way you dont have other females eating other eggs while the "pair" breeds....

i can honestly say i get about 50-60 eggs per week with 3 sets of CPD's but not all eggs get fertilize... about 70-90% do tho and they can take anywhere from 2-3 months before the frys start showing colors like the adults... and 4-5 months they reach adulthood...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I keep all of mine together and they lay eggs every day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.