The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have platies for the first time too, and mine also recently had babies (after less than 24 hours in my tank, LOL). I didn't bother to separate them, and the adults did eat most of them, but I think I have one left. The baby hides in the big clump of hornwort in my tank. Supposedly, giving the babies bushy plants and floaters to hide in gives them a better chance at survival. I'm not trying to breed a colony or anything, so if good plant cover lets 1/100 babies survive, that's fine with me! Maybe try having a small fry tank with plant cover set up for next time?

I don't know if there are any rare platies, but I have heard a few stories about people who earn a few bucks or store credit selling babies back to the LFS. I wouldn't count on it though, platies are pretty much a dime a dozen (literally, :red_mouth) Now, there are some pretty rare/pricey guppies out there...

As for what else you could have in a ten gallon, I had a honey gourami when I had a 10, and he was an awesome fish. I highly recommend them! He would get along fine with your platies (though he would eat the babies!)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts