The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the world of aquarium plants and don't really have a great selection at the LFS, so decided to order a bunch online. With shipping costing around $50 I don't think I will be doing this often and hope to get it right with your generous help.

Firstly, I have a 29 gal with 2 fluorescent T5 halides for a total 36 watts or 1.22 gal. I have a substrate of coarse river rock (4-5mm diameter) that covers about 1-2inches. There are 3 mid sized goldfish and 1 golden mystery snail in the tank and no desire to add any more fish. I will supplement weekly with Fluorish excel liquid fertilizer.

Since these are goldfish, they produce a large bio-load which is good for fert but are voracious herbivores and thus limits my choice of plants to primarily swords,crypts, or anubias.

I am planning on ordering the following plants:

Coffeefolia (Anubias barteri v. ‘Coffeefolia’) - attached by band to driftwood
Nana (Anubias barteri v. ‘Nana’ - attached by band to driftwood

Crypt, Walkerii - buried in gravel
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Florida Sunset' - buried in gravel
Sword, Amazon Sword (Echinodorus bleheri) - buried in gravel
Sword, Red Melon (Echinodorus Barthii v. "red melon") - buried in gravel
Lloydiella (Lysimachia nummularia) - buried in gravel

So basically I'm wondering if these plants would grow in my tank given my conditions (no fert other than liquid fluorish, hungry goldfish, relatively low light) or if I should consider different plants/less plants/etc.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
When they say that some plants are good with herbivores, they don't mean good. They mean they have a fighting chance. You are going to have a tough tank to cut your teeth on. I've never kept goldfish, but some of them have a worse reputation than some of the fish I have kept. I have seen goldfish tanks here that the plants are kept in pots.

Ferts, light, and CO2 all go hand in hand. A 29 is fairly tall tank, so I think you have a good amount of light to get away with limited dosing. But that's just a guess.

It looks to me like you have the right kinds of plants. I would just see if you couldn't add some jungle valisneria too.

Some root tabs could only help, and they're pretty affordable.

It's tough to have too many plants.

Overall, I think you're on the right track. I hope I touched on all of your questions.

·
Registered
405 Posts
They say Polaks can be stubborn. But, maybe it isn't true. If it isn't, you'll believe that you should get yourself a tank for the goldfish and decorate it with something other than plants. But...don't give up on the planted tank idea. Without goldfish, you'd have a far better likelihood of success with it. Look around this website for info on a low-tech tank and follow the advice that you'll find. Look at it this way...you'll have a nice low-tech planted tank AND a goldfish tank. Not bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts