The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am currently planning out and researching for my next tank in a few months. Gonna be doing 75+ gallon rainbowfish tank. I've heard that many (if not all) Melanotaenia can interbreed with each other. I particularly want to know about Melanotaenia Praecox (dwarf neon) with the larger species. I can't seem to find any specific information on it.

If they can interbreed, would I be ok with an all male rainbow tank?

I plan on doing a larger group of the dwarfs and about 10-12 of the larger species. Turquoise rainbows for sure. If I do 2-3 of several different species (all male), would they shoal together or should I stick with just the Turquoise?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’m no authority on the subject, but the results of my research indicates they can interbreed. Anecdotally, I had one female with the body shape, size, and color of a Praecox but fins that were definitely from a different species.
@Greggz should be able to provide a much more informed perspective.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Looking forward to seeing another Rainbow tank on the board.

Rainbow fish will interbreed. Hybrids are frowned upon, and great care goes to keeping species pure. So if you go that route, keep any you get to yourself.

I keep an all male tank. Anywhere from 2 to 4 of each species. Rainbows are not really "shoalers". They more kind of hang out together, but not shoaling like you would expect to see from big groups of neons or other smaller fish.

And despite what you may read, adult males in a all male tank display great color. They spar/flash daily. I have many pics of my Bows in my journal. Most important is providing a good environment. Uber clean tank, large regular water changes, heavy filtration, good surface agitation (oxygen), and a good variety of healthy foods. Do these things and Bows will mature to beautiful colors and lead a long healthy life.

Rainbows also display the best color in a heavily planted tank with a black background and substrate.

As to the mix, that is personal preference. I've seen both single species and mixed species tanks that are spectacular. I prefer a mix as I going for the maximum amount of different colors in the tank. But that is just what I like. Do what you like.

Good luck with tank and reach out if there is anything I can help with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for the info, Greggz! In the research phase now. The plan is to get something started around next May.

I watched a video with Gary Lange talking about rainbows and he mentioned the hybrids and that people frown upon them so I wanted to double check about the dwarfs.

I'll definitely be doing an all male tank then. I'll also probably be doing multiple species as well, because there are so many beautiful species to just pick one! I really love the Turquoise and Boesemani, but too many too pick from!

Thanks again for the help and if I have any more questions I'll send you a PM if that's okay!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't know much about rainbows, but saw your amazing YouTube videos! Perfect music.

If you can build a set up like that, you can aquascape no problem :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure if you meant my videos or the OP's?

If it was mine, thanks and glad you enjoy them.
Not my videos, I don't have any! But if you are on YouTube, I'll definitely look you up!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
One comment on the spawning and potential fry: I have a tank of boesemani and turquoise, mix of male and female. The turquoise spawn every day like clockwork. The eggs barely, if ever make it to sticking to plants, as the Dennison barbs I have gobble them up quick. I would think in a community tank of rainbows, it would be very unlikely to get any fry!

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
That is not a crypt.

It's a bulb plant called Barclaya Longifolia. It is a large plant that needs a decent sized tank.

Leaves can get quite long, 15"+.
Your not kidding about that at all. I have one in my 75 gal. And the leaves will easily reach about 3/4 across the tank if I let it go un-trimmed. The thing HATES to be moved though, every time I move it, it will drop its leaves and go dormant for a short period of time before working its way towards taking over the tank again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts