The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 20 gallon high set up, has some stems from my other tank. It is lit by 2 20 watt spiral lights (looks ok so far). I am using pool filter sand (quickcrete) it is about 4" deep. I places some root tabs at the bottom (deep under the sand) of the sand near where the plants are planted.

There are 3 fancy gold fish in there, they do not seem to troubled by the water. I am using a marineland bio-wheel filter rated for 50 gallon tanks. It was running on my other tank for a week before I started the 20. The 20 has been running for 3 weeks, 2 with fish.

So the water is cloudy like when if I dumped sand in. It gets worse though the week. I am doing 2 75% water changes a week right now to keep it in check, but it is still ugly. What else should I do to get this water clear?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, Brad.

This is pool filter sand, in the 2 - 4 mm range, some 1mm I would guess. It was purchased at Pinch A Penny pool supplies. Quickcrete sells all sorts of different sand products.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I just did another water change... there was a fine greenish powder algea on the glass. I am guessing that is it.

CO2 is what I guess I need, ... how to do it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.