The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 20 gallon high set up, has some stems from my other tank. It is lit by 2 20 watt spiral lights (looks ok so far). I am using pool filter sand (quickcrete) it is about 4" deep. I places some root tabs at the bottom (deep under the sand) of the sand near where the plants are planted.

There are 3 fancy gold fish in there, they do not seem to troubled by the water. I am using a marineland bio-wheel filter rated for 50 gallon tanks. It was running on my other tank for a week before I started the 20. The 20 has been running for 3 weeks, 2 with fish.

So the water is cloudy like when if I dumped sand in. It gets worse though the week. I am doing 2 75% water changes a week right now to keep it in check, but it is still ugly. What else should I do to get this water clear?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Quickcrete's sand is not Pool Filter Sand I think it's a .05 to 1mm fine grain sand that probably isn't the best for aquariums which will kick up allot of partials when you move it.

Other than that all you can do is keep doing large WC's until you get most of it out of the water column.

- Brad

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, Brad.

This is pool filter sand, in the 2 - 4 mm range, some 1mm I would guess. It was purchased at Pinch A Penny pool supplies. Quickcrete sells all sorts of different sand products.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Sounds to me like those 1mm particles are getting stirred up and suspended. Maybe try running a micron filter for a few hours or so? If you don't have one of those available, just try turning the filter off for a few hours and letting all the particles settle.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I just did another water change... there was a fine greenish powder algea on the glass. I am guessing that is it.

CO2 is what I guess I need, ... how to do it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts