The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really know plants. I'm reading the Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants, and Ecology of the Planted Aquarium right now, but I've got a base line idea of what I want to achieve with my current tank. I currently have water with a pH of 7.00 and a TDS of 175. I'll be feeding the fish heavily, and supplementing with root tabs, with a black diamond sand substrate.

My thinking was to create a sort of "pebble aquascape", with rows of round river rocks sort of denoting various areas in a 20 gallon long. I really want to grow Vallisneria, downoi, and hornwort in the tank.

My first issue is that I don't know what Vallisneria I can grow that forms that "underwater grass" feel but also can do well in a 12" high tank. I'm also not sure if my water is hard enough for Vallisneria. It's always melted away on me for some reason, and I don't know why. I also don't know how to trim Vallisneria when it starts overpropagating.

My second issue is that I want to grow the hornwort in a sort of stand, where it acts like a pseudo-Cabomba, like in this Foo the Flowerhorn video. Hornwort has also usually failed to thrive for me as well. I need some sort of "false rock" as well....

Finally, are the plants going to be okay in this type of water?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Vallisneria torta is one of the shorter vals so that could be an option. Also if you don't mind it sweeping over the top Vallisneria nana; they're a lot narrower so although you get the height, it isn't as overbearing. To propagate vals you just cut the runners and replant. If vals aren't a deal breaker then you might have to go with hairgrass if there's specific look your going for.

The Easy Planter from aquariumcoop.com might be what you're looking for if you're not up for the diy route.

I've personally never had issues with growing vals (no experience with horwort) in soft or hard water. I would recommend that you allow your tank to fully cycle and stabilize before planting. Vals tend to melt in new tanks or ones where water parameters are bouncing all over the place.

Hope this helps a little.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.