The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this customer tank up for around 3 years now. For the first year it did just fine but after that the java fern started to continually develop holes and eventually the leaves melt.

I've tried to dose potassium as that was my initial impression but didnt see any results even over a longer time perioid of 6 months(could still be the issue as i only see the tank and dose every 2 weeks)

Both the anubias and the other plants are doing great.

The leaves come in fresh(no holes) and then melt off in about 2 weeks

If anyone has dealt with this successfully any advice would be appreciated
Plant Leaf Fruit Flower Insect
Plant Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable Aquatic plant Grass
Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Organism Vegetation
Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Organism Flower
Plant Flower Leaf Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable
Plant Leaf Botany Terrestrial plant Vegetation
Plant Leaf Grass Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable
Plant Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable Flowering plant Groundcover

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
I've had this customer tank up for around 3 years now. For the first year it did just fine but after that the java fern started to continually develop holes and eventually the leaves melt.

I've tried to dose potassium as that was my initial impression but didnt see any results even over a longer time perioid of 6 months(could still be the issue as i only see the tank and dose every 2 weeks)

Both the anubias and the other plants are doing great.

The leaves come in fresh(no holes) and then melt off in about 2 weeks

If anyone has dealt with this successfully any advice would be appreciated
My first guess is that something is trying to eat them, either snails, or a fish lacking some vegetarian diet. Java ferns are pretty tough though, normally not an issue.
Have you tested N and P levels to exclude the possibility that there is a nutrient deficiency?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
sorry i was on holiday, its not my tank(customer i clean tank 2x a month) so it only gets ferts twice a month so i doubt its helping much. Nitrates between 10-50ppm water here is hard with close to 8 ph out of the tap it does have lower potassium but phosphate does exist i dose nitrogen if its under 20ppm when i show up and potassium every time also its guarenteed to get a 50% water change on that 2week interval

1 - 4 of 4 Posts