The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a job doing data research so I am basically on the net all day. I sometimes just stumble on something that is cool and bookmark it. I found this today:

http://www.aerogardenstore.com/promotion/index.php?promoName=catalog&pageName=compare_gardens&r=1

It seems like it is basically is setup to do just that. They are a bit pricey and I am sure you could make one for less than $30, I do like how simple they look.

I just thought it was kind of cool. I may buy or make one using plants used in aquariums or just normal plants. I like to bring some nature indoors since I work at home right now and even when I don't, I still have to spend most my day indoors.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
My neighbor has one of those and she grows herbs in it all winter long. You probably could grow emersed aquatics in there, although I think that I's be more inclined to just use a regular tank for better humidity control around the plants and a more natural presentation.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My neighbor has one of those and she grows herbs in it all winter long. You probably could grow emersed aquatics in there, although I think that I's be more inclined to just use a regular tank for better humidity control around the plants and a more natural presentation.
You are defineatly the resident expert here. My thing is that I really have wanted to set up a riparium (most of it is your fault lol) but I can't justify the money first of all but space is a bigger concern. Maybe I am wrong but a 10 gallon or smaller, I just don't think I would have the same amount of fun. Plus, I have 4 hobbies I am really into, accouple others that I am sort of into so even maitanice is not fun.

I have been growing some plants in the backyard out of my tank. I have a 10 gallon pot that is submerged but has a small amount emmersed growth. I also have a smaller pot that is basically a few inches of water and plants. I think it looks cool and it just has a differnt look than any terrestial plants I have ever kept and it is super easy (I do bonsai but I am not great).

Even if I were to get one and do terristrial plants, I think my idea would be similar to a planted tank which is to pick a variety of plants and actually try to "terristrial" scape it into something cool looking. I just saw it and now it intregues me lol.

Sorry about all these long posts tonight, I write long things at work so I just start typing away some nights.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I think you could put together a pretty sweet little emersed plant setup just in a 10, 5 or 2.5-gallon tank. It might be difficult to also put water in something like that, and in that case it would just be a terrarium with wet media at the bottom. Nevertheless so many of those emersed aquatics have such beautiful colors and textures and it could be neat just to display those. I had a blog post form a while back with pictures of the beautiful plants that gmccreedy sent me. His pictures of his emersed growout system are real nice.

You might also be able to grow some of those emersed aquatic plants in that AeroGarden--I just wonder if the air around it would be too dry, especially during the wintertime. Is your house dry during the winter? I think that they sell those AeroGardens with herb seeds so you could also just grow some basil and oregano or whatnot and that would also be some nice happy greenery for your desk and something to put in your spaghetti. Flowers would be nice too.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Personally I'd look for something shallower than a regular aquarium if you can. Without water in the tank, you lose a lot more light out the sides. I find aquariums are a little on the tall side, often to the point that I float emersed HC and moss trays inside of my 20 gal to get closer to the light. On the plus side, the column of water can take a heater, which increases growth rates.

-Philosophos

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
some aquatic plants can grow without much humidity. Just wet soil.
some I can think of...
hair grass.
the rotalas
aromatica
HC
HM
a lot of them really. You'll have to experiment.

some I know for sure won't work are anubias and most crypts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts