The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am choosing plants for a new tank set up and I have a few narrowed down. I wonder if I should narrow some down further based on ones that could be similar or could be problematic (as in taking over a tank, a la horn wort or duckweed which I am not using). All of these are cultures. I only want to use cultures and potted plants.Most of these I looked at YouTube video, but some I could not see actually growing in a tank set up. As you can see I kinda dig rotala but maybe some are better than others.

Rotala manipurensis
Rotala mexicana bangladesh
Rotala HRA
Piptospatha Ridleyi
Alternanthera Reineckii Rosanervig
Alternanthera Reineckii 'Mini'
Ludwigia Peruensis/Glandulosa
Ludwigia Palustris Super Red
Helanthium Bolivianum
Rotala Nanjenshan
Rotala Wallichii
Rotala Mexicana Bangladesh
Rotala Blood Red
Rotala Green
Rotala Macrandra Red
Proserpinaca Palustris
Hygrophila Pinnatifida
Pogostemon Helferi 'Downoi'
Hemianthus Micranthemoides
African Water Fern/Bolbitis Heudelotii
Christmas moss (Vesicularia Montagnei)
Rotala sp. 'Vietnam'
Rotala Macrandra
Rotala Rotundifolia
Rotala Macrandra sp. mini butterfly
Eleocharis vivipara
Eleocharis Acicularis
Blyxa Novoguineensis (Pouch)
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Myriophyllum sp mini guyana

Here is my current set up:
90 gallon rimless aquarium, 36"x24"x24"
Lighting: 2 Kessil A360x
UV Sterilizer: Smart UV High Output Pentair AES 50 watt
UV sterilizer is attached to Goulds GT15 Irri-gator Self-Priming Centrifugal Pump
Dymax 17 mm crystal lily pipes
600 wt Bulk Reef Supply Titanium Heater
GLA Pro-DS-1 CO2 Dual Stage Modular System

substrate: All ADA protects including Power Sand Advance using all of the ADA supplements Green Brighty, Mineral, ADA Green Brighty K, ADA Iron Bottom Long, ADA Tourmaline BC, ADA Bottom Plus, ADA Clear Super, ADA Bacter 100, Ada Aqua Soil mixed with Gray Coast, mesh bags filled with lava rock for height, frodo stone, ADA Aqua Soil Powder on top, and Colorado Sand for decoration with Dennerle GMbH natural gravel Plantahunter Rio Xingu

Fertilizer: Niloc G Thrive All in One

·
Registered
531 Posts
Rotala "Green" and rotala "Manipura" look very similar. Rotala "H'ra", "blood red", and "rotundifolia" (under high light) look similar too.

Rotala wallichii and rotala nanjenshan look similar, rotala nanjenshan is just a wallichii-rotundifolia hybrid. They both look kind of like rotala mexicana, though mexicana tends to have shorter leaves and thicker stems.

Rotala macrandra, macrandra "red", and "mini butterfly" all look very similar.

Eleocharis acicularis (the tall version) and eleocharis vivpara are almost identical.

Don't want to discourage you if you have a vision. It could look cool to use all these varieties and their very subtle differences to do a sort of "rainbow" effect in a single bush. But if you want plants that don't look similar, you could get away with one of each of the varieties I posted above.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not seen many of these live, only in video or images. I know some would inevitably be similar, especially with regard to these rotala varities. I have not decided on anything except I know I want to avoid Java Moss, Java Fern, any kind of nana and any crypts or swords. I like the sort of bush qualities of rotale. I do want red but maybe not too much red. I was hoping to use cherry shrimp, amano shrimp, chili rasboras, some small corys, and amber tetra, and perhaps some featherfin rainbows. I guess what looks best with these plants should be considered. The prettiest of all these rotala in my opinion is the Vietnam one. I like the way the leaves look sort of needle. I have thought of putting the tall vivpara in back, but use the smaller variety as a carpeting plant. I did know those were similar. I have this 50 lb Frodo stone. My biggest worry is how to get it into the aquarium. I have already decided on foam and egg crate as a bottom below the power sand before placing the rocks.

Could you maybe recommend which of these you like best or if you have any other suggestions. I want to have plants, too, that are not as common but look good. I also want to go all cultures if I can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts