The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
great looking pics but those blood lines for color are all gone now
LOL No they're not, but it DOES require three more separate tanks.

Just separate each color to a different tank. Leave the berried moms in the original tank until they give birth, then move them over. You have the same blood lines again.

Now the REAL question is do you have room for 4 separate tanks? LOL

If not, you could sell off the colors one at a time, until you are left with one color and cull the shrimp fry...

OR... just have fun and do what this was meant to do. Provide entertainment and interest and leave it at that. Not everyone wants to take breeding to a serious level. Some just want to be happy with a colorful tank. :) And your tank is plenty colorful and looks great! The adults will live a yr or two, and who knows what variation in fry you'll have? They look like little chili peppers now!

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
+1 Soothing. Not everyone wants to breed shrimp and just have them in their tank to look nice. What will come out of that tank in 10 generations is hard to say. I know SOMETIMES yellow + red will give wild browns, but it doesn't mean that happens 100% of the time, nor does it take into account what happens in a brown breed back to a yellow and than that offspring back to a PFR, you don't know what you'll get it. If they are happy with their tank and the possibility of it being all brown, great, but I think with that many, left alone to their own devices you may get some weird looking shrimp in a few years.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
+1 smoothing shrimp

Just keep what makes you happy. If you are serious about breeding, then keep the individual colors separately to prevent hybridization. It seems only a small percentage of Shri,p buyers ultimately sell and ship shrimp offspring, and fewer cull. Some people just have a different reason for keeping these little guys purely for enjoyment and not profit.

I have a glass bowl with a Taiwan fire red, two oranges and a yellow (albeit females) but I gaze at this tank all day long next to my computer.

Do whatever makes ya happy but know that hybridization ruins the purity of each breeds color and likely their street value if you were to sell the offspring. If these were eventually going to be gifted, it would be nice if you tell the new owners they were hybrids as a courtesy.

·
Registered
518 Posts
i did keep the orange and yellow together and that didnt do any diff in color so its kinda your call

No brown offspring?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts